Update No. 18: Côte d’Ivoire Situation
• Coordination of civil protection, humanitarian assistance, and post-conflict reconstruction activities are underway in a joint effort by UN agencies, humanitarian partners and the respective government authorities to restore stability in Côte d’Ivoire.
• The Ivorian press reported that following a meeting between FRCI generals on 16 May, an imminent strategy to disarm the population in Gagnoa is being prepared.
• UNOCI reported combat in San Pedro on 17 May whereby four militiamen were killed and one was captured.
• The inauguration Ceremony for President Alassane Dramane Ouattara was held in Yamoussoukro on 21 May. Attendees included the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, President Nicolas Sarkozy (France), President Blaise Compoare (Burkina Faso), President Jonathan Goodluck (Nigeria) and many other Heads of State from neighbouring countries and around the world.
• On 22 May, the UNHCR Representative in Côte d’Ivoire, Mr. Jacques Franquin, joined the United Nations Secretary General along with the Humanitarian Coordinator and a delegation from UNOCI in a visit to internally displaced persons at the UEESO Church site in Cocody, Abidjan.