Central America -Tropical Storm Mitch, Belize, Honduras OCHA Situation Report No. 5
CENTRAL AMERICA - TROPICAL STORM MITCH
OCHA - GENEVA SITUATION REPORT NO.5
30 OCTOBER 1998
1. The National Weather Centre in Miami reports that at 1500 GMT on 30 October, the centre of tropical storm Mitch was near latitude 15.3 north, longitude 86.2 west or about 55 miles (85 km) east-southeast of La Ceiba/Honduras. Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 40 miles per hour (65 km per hour).
2. Tropical storm warnings remain in effect for the Caribbean coast of Honduras, Guatemala,Belize and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, from Cabo Catoche southward.
(This message is not an official tropical storm warning or alert for any country)
3. OCHA has dispatched a four-person United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) Team to arrive on 1st of November.
4. The Acting Prime Minister called an emergency meeting with all bilateral and multi-lateral agencies in Belize.
5. Approximately 60,000 people have been evacuated from Belize City, Dangriga, Toledo and the Cayes. Fifty per cent of these people have been placed in official shelters.
6. Amongst evacuated people, conditions of diarrhoea and conjunctivitis are developing. Solid waste disposal is also a problem. Moreover, since most people had the impression that they would only stay in these shelters for a day or two, they did not take enough food for a prolonged period.
7. The Government has announced an urgent need for food and medicines.
Contributions reported to OCHA
PAHO - Supplies - USD 20,000
UNICEF- Supplies - USD 50,000
United Kingdom - Airborne teams for assessment in disaster- affected areas +++
United States - Airborne teams for assessment in disaster- affected areas +++
(+++) value not available
8. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
9. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at:http:// www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Erik Haegglund, direct tel: + 41-22-917-3299
Contact person for the media: Ms. Elena
Ponomareva, direct tel:+41-22-917-2336
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.