Water kills and water saves lives: A humanitarian emergency
According to a survey carried out by the Institut LH2, only 1%of the French population is even aware of the problem and as for the other 99%, this is news!These figures are similar in other countries too.We must break down the barriers of silence and ignorance that prevent vital resources from being mobilised.We must use all possible means to reduce the death toll.Unsafe water is currently killing more people than all armed conflicts put together!
We need to put pressure on the political decision-makers who are aware of the situation but are not doing enough. In order to achieve the UN Millennium Development Goals, international aid must be doubled, or even tripled.
This is an urgentmatter, because the financial and food crisiswill hit the poorest people first and hardest, including victims of armed conflict and natural disasters.And yet international aid, including aid from France, is not even fulfilling its official commitments.This situation is scandalous and dangerous.
In this press kit, you will find all the essential information, as well as eyewitness reports from SOLIDARITES volunteers, who are providing people in themost desperate situations in all four corners of the worldwith clean drinkingwater and sanitation, demonstrating that something can in fact be done.
We are happy to provide journalists and members of the media with interviews and information, including field visits, phone interviews, photos, films, facts and figures, in-person interviews, etc.
We have launched a petition, with the goal of obtaining 100,000 signatures to be delivered to the French, European and UN authorities during World Water Day on March 22nd, and at the World Water Forum in Istanbul (March 16th - 22nd).