September 15, 2016 (JUBA) -The Association for Media Development in South Sudan (ADMISS) has issued a strong worded statement on Thursday in protest of the closure of an independent newspaper by government security personnel, describing it as a deliberate ploy to muzzle press freedom and access to public information.
Alfred Taban, chairperson for the media association in the country said the organization views the closure of these media institutions as suppression of the press and clampdown on free speech.
September 13, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese government has downplayed statements by the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) in which it expressed readiness to provide guarantees on the delivery of humanitarian assistance to the Two Areas through the Ethiopian port of Asosa.
After a series of talks in Addis Ababa between 9 to 14 August, the Sudanese government and the SPLM-N failed to sign a humanitarian access agreement.
September 3, 2016 (NYALA) - Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) at a number of camps in Darfur have refused to return to their original villages despite repeated calls by the government saying they wouldn’t return until security is being achieved there.
Head of IDPs and refugees association Al-Shiekh Ali Abdel-Rahman told Sudan Tribune on Saturday that IDPs conditions is deteriorating, pointing that displacement continues to take place in Central and North Darfur states due to ongoing clashes around Jebel Marra area.
September 1, 2016 (JUBA) – Local health officials have reported 11 cases of cholera for the first time in the South Sudanese town of Nimule which borders Uganda.
Four cases were registered among South Sudanese within the town and seven others among refugees fleeing violence to neighboring Uganda, according to Amoko Simon, Pageri County Health Director.
“Some of the patients came from Elegu [a Ugandan border town] and others are from here [Nimule],” said Amoko, confirming that laboratory analysis in Juba has confirmed cholera.
August 30, 2016 (JUBA) – A military court has convicted 60 soldiers of murdering civilians and for looting during last month’s fighting in the South Sudanese capital, Juba.
The spokesperson for the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) Brig. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang said President Salva Kiir would decide the fate of the 60 convicted soldiers.
“60 soldiers have been charged and found guilty of various crimes including looting, killing of civilians and other misbehaviours,” Lul told Sudan Tribune by phone Tuesday.