UNSOM welcomes the following joint declaration from Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia in response to the current drought:
MOGADISHU DECLARATION ON REGIONAL COOPERATION ON THE CURRENT DROUGHT
- Low rainfall amount was received in some parts of the county during the third week of the month. It was a poor start of the off-season rains.
- Pasture and browse condition is poor in most areas. The condition is below normal.
- The state of water is inadequate in main water sources in most areas. The situation is below normal.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
The Government has declared the current drought affecting 23 arid and semi-arid counties and pockets of other areas a national disaster.
Speaking after being briefed on the situation on the ground by Cabinet Secretaries involved in drought management and food security at state House Nairobi, President Uhuru Kenyatta called on all stakeholders to support the Government by upscaling drought mitigation programmes.
- Minimal Rainfall was received in the County for the month of January.
- The vegetation condition Index VCI-3Month) was -2.53 in the month of January from -6.55 in December.
- The VCI indicated a worsening vegetation condition with an extreme band deficit. The situation was worsening with the overall drought stage in the county being at Alarm.