South Sudan: Crisis (as of 20 December 2013)
South Sudan Situation Update as of 20 December
•The situation remains tense, but stable. Government security forces are in control. Preliminary reports from inter-agency rapid needs assessments indicate several immediate humanitarian needs.
• Three peacekeepers and 30 civilians of the Dinka ethnic group were killed in an attack at the UNMISS compound in Akobo. The Bor UNMISS compound, sheltering 14 000 people, was also attacked.
• Firing was reported in Gumuruk. No updated information on previously reported fighting in Pibor Post, Likanguole, Waat and Pochalla.
• 4 650 people from Jonglei, including local officials, have arrived at Awerial County, Lakes State.
• Heavy clashes were reported in Bentiu, as well as fights between Dinka and Nuer ethnic groups in Tharjas oil field in Koch County.
• Over 36 000 people from South Sudan (Dinka, Nuer and Murle ethnic groups) sought refuge in Kenya.
•Clashes in Akobo may cause refugee influx in the country.