Asia-Pacific Region 11 - 17 December, 2012, Natural Disasters and Other Events being monitored by the OCHA Regional Office for the Asia-Pacific
- Philippines - TC Bopha (Pablo) struck the southern Philippines nearly 2 weeks ago. Nearly 960,000 people remain displaced, of whom almost 26,000 are in 63 evacuation centers. The rest are staying outside of the centers. As of 17 Dec, 1,043 people are reported as dead and another 844 are missing. The GoP continues to lead search and rescue operations, response and damage assessments. Access difficulties from damaged infrastructure remain a key issue. According to FTS US$11.8 million of contributions and pledges have been made by foreign donors to support the response to this emergency.
Source: OCHA, UNISYS
- Myanmar - Over 115,000 people remain displaced in Rakhine state with only 44 percent of the $68 million appeal funded. Government authorities have agreed to establish a 'coordination cell' in the capital Sittwe as means of improving the government and humanitarian community coordination mechanism.
- Samoa - TC Evan has struck Samoa killing four and leaving 4,500 people in evacuation centers. Assessments are ongoing, but preliminary results from locations in Upolo island reveal considerable damage to homes. WASH is highlighted as an ongoing concern.
Source: OCHA, PDC
- Myanmar - Intensified fighting in several locations in Kachin State continues to hamper the humanitarian response to some 75,000 displaced people. While IDP camps are reportedly unharmed, there have been significant fighting near the stronghold of the Kachin Independence Army Head Quarters, Laiza. Humanitarian needs remain great and widespread among IDPs, however the response is hampered as international partners do not have access to all affected locations.
- Fiji - TC Evan is moving over Fiji on 17 Dec. Hurricane warnings were in effect and people have been evacuated from areas most at risk (Yassawa and Mamanuca islands, western Viti Levu). Over 3,500 evacuees are staying in evacuation centers.
- Brunei Darussalam - Several low-lying areas in Brunei-Muara District reported waist-high flood water and landslides due to heavy rain.
- Indonesia - An earthquake measuring 5.8 M struck on 11 Dec. A more powerful earthquake measuring 7.1 M struck the Banda Sea on 10 Dec No report of damages.
Source: PDC, USGS
- Papua New Guinea - An earthquake measuring 6.0M struck on 16 Dec near New Ireland. No reports of damages.
Source: PDC, USGS
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.