16 Oct 2013: ASIA/Pacific Region – Earthquakes, Tropical Cyclones, Floods
• The heavy rainfall brought about by the passage of PHAILIN-13 over Odisha state on 12 Oct, has caused floods in the districts of Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Bhadrak and Jajpur (Odisha state) .
• 5 people killed by the floods in the past couple of days, on top of the 21 people already killed by PHAILIN-13 in the state.
• NARI-13 made landfall near Da Nang on 14 Oct (UTC), affecting central Vietnam with heavy rain. Later it moved over central Lao PDR and E Thailand, weakening, but still producing heavy rainfall.
• In Vietnam, as of 15 Oct, 3 people killed, 2 missing and 49 injured. Damages include over 300 houses destroyed, over 12 000 damaged by the strong winds or flooded and ca. 5 000 ha of agriculture land affected.
• WIPHA-13 passed off the coast of SE tip of Honshu late on 15 Oct (UTC) (winds of Typhoon strength or just below), then early on 16 Oct WIPHA continued moving NE, away from mainland Japan in the direction of Kuril islands, weakening.
• It affected SE Honshu with strong winds and very heavy rainfall, causing flooding, damage and casualties in the Kanto region around Tokyo. As of 16 Oct morning (UTC), media report 16 dead in Oshima island and 1 in Tokyo.
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
• On 16 Oct, 10:31 UTC, an earthquake of Magnitude 6.8M (depth 54 km) hit off the coast of Bougainville Island (Papua New Guinea). The epicentre was located ca. 30 km W of this island.
• USGS-PAGER indicates shaking of up to “Very Strong” for 3 000 people.
• No significant tsunami risk was posed by this earthquake.
• On 15 Oct, 00:12 UTC, an earthquake of Magnitude 7.1M (depth 20 km) hit Bohol province in Central Visayas.
• According to NDRRMC (as of 16 Oct, 11:00 UTC): 144 dead (134 in Bohol, 9 in Cebu, 1 in Siquijor), 291 injured, 23 missing, over 3 000 000 people affected, 37 424 displaced (30 359 of them in 51 evacuation centres), public buildings and roads damaged.