Special Humanitarian Bulletin - Sahel Food Security and Nutrition Crisis, 15 June 2012
- A food and nutrition crisis in the Sahel is affecting over 18 million people.
- 1.1 million children will suffer from severe acute malnutrition; 3 million from moderate acute malnutrition.
- Sahel cereal production in 2012 is 27 per cent lower than in 2011, and food prices continue to rise.
- Conflict and insecurity in Mali are exacerbating regional vulnerabilities.
- Capacity has been boosted across the region to respond to calls by governments and increased needs.
- Funding requirements for the crisis have reached more than $1.6 billion. More funding is urgently required
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.