To download video: http://media.hrw.org/index.asp?ID=SLDNL&lang=ENG&showEmbargoed=true
Hague Prosecutor, National Courts Should Close ‘Impunity Gap’
(The Hague, September 1, 2015) – The opening of the trial of Bosco Ntaganda on September 2, 2015, at the International Criminal Court (ICC) sends the message that elusive suspects in grave international crimes may someday be brought to justice, Human Rights Watch said today.
Bunia 28 August 2015: MONUSCO conduct and discipline unit in Bunia convened in the conference room of its headquarters local actors as well as substantive sections to set up a whistleblowing mechanism to denounce and prevent any act of sexual exploitation and abuse by the United Nations staff.
Bukavu, 27 August 2015 — Dr. Mamadou Pethe Diallo, the new Deputy Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General in charge of humanitarian affairs made his first visit to South Kivu province.
Upon arriving at Kavumu airport on Thursday 27 August, the Deputy Special Representative made a courtesy call to provincial authorities in Bukavu, South-Kivu and visited Panzi hospital.
The Hague, Netherlands | AFP | Monday 8/31/2015 - 03:02 GMT
by Jan HENNOP
Former Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda, nicknamed "The Terminator", goes on trial before the International Criminal Court Wednesday, accused of war crimes including the rape of child soldiers by his own rebel army.
The once-feared rebel commander with a flair for pencil moustaches, cowboy hats and fine dining, faces 13 counts of war crimes and five of crimes against humanity. He has pleaded not guilty.
Situation: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Case: The Prosecutor v. Bosco Ntaganda
A Press Conference on the commencement of the trial in the case The Prosecutor v. Bosco Ntaganda will be held on Tuesday 1 September 2015 at 11:00 (The Hague time) in the Press Briefing room of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands. The conference will also be web-streamed live on the Court's website, with the possibility for ICC Twitter followers to ask their questions at the conference.
Kinshasa, DR Congo | AFP | Friday 8/28/2015 - 23:23 GMT
At least three people have been killed and thousands left homeless by bush fires raging in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, UN and NGO officials said Friday.
The blazes began mostly as fires for hunting or clearing land that spread out of control, consuming villagers' thatched huts, aid workers said.
The Catholic charity Caritas said two men and a child had been killed by fires in the Kongolo region of Katanga province, where 996 homes had been destroyed.
WHO: Kyung-wha Kang, UN Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator
WHAT: Five-day visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo
WHEN: Monday 31 August to Friday 4 September 2015
WHERE: Kinshasa, North Kivu and South Kivu
Burinyi, Mwenga, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 24 August 2015 – “These past months, we suffered a lot to find drinking water. We couldn’t use the water source because the water coming out of it was dirty. Now, it has been repaired and we are very happy to have clean water.”
Because of ongoing political unrest in Burundi, thousands are fleeing into neighbouring countries.
As of 26 August approximately 15,500 Burundian refugees have been registered in DRC whereby the majority are situated in South Kivu. Approximately 680 are in Katanga province, and just over 230 are in Maniema province.
Kinshasa, DR Congo | AFP | Wednesday 8/26/2015 - 15:08 GMT
by Habibou BANGRE
The UN mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said Wednesday it will stop providing food from September to nearly 7,000 ex-fighters, sparking fresh fears in the chronically troubled country.
The 20,000-strong MONUSCO, which has an annual budget of $1.4 billion (1.2 billion euros), is strapped for cash, its chief Martin Kobler told AFP.
Bunia – 20 August 2015: M’Hand Ladjouzi, chief of MONUSCO Office in Ituri, inaugurated a community center for child protection and mentoring, especially those affected by armed conflicts and in situation of vulnerability. At least 1800 children, including 600 affected by armed conflicts and 1200 other vulnerable children will receive assistance from this new center.
Bunia: The United Nations Joint Human Rights Office in Ituri (BCNUDH) and PARJE “Uhaki safi” organized on 20 August, a conference on “the role of sound forensic evidence in the fight against impunity for sex and gender based violence”.
Bunia, 25 August 2015 - As part of the International Security and Stabilization Support Strategy (ISSSS), MONUSCO’s Stabilization Support Unit, in collaboration with STAREC (Reconstruction and Stabilization Program for Areas emerging from Armed Conflicts) organized from 17 through 21 August 2015 an evaluation of the project named Immediate Response Facility (IRF) in Mambasa.
The evaluation was conducted during the mission aimed to engage with the local officials, civil society organizations, and the media and project partners – led by the Unit chief, Richard de la Falaise.
Bukavu, 19 August 2015 — MONUSCO/South-Kivu HIV/AIDs section proceeds with sensitization sessions on HIV/AIDs pandemic. On Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 August, this section met the ex-combatants of the Democratic Forces of the Liberation of Rwanda at the Walungu transit center.
With DDRRR’s facilitation and cooperation, HIV/AIDs session was held in Walungu for the second group of FDLR ex-combatants, awaiting their relocation, after voluntary surrender.
MONUSCO civil affairs section jointly with local authorities, organized a workshop on social and democratic dialogue on 17 - 18 August 2015 at the court room of Dungu; About 50 people attended the workshop.
Uvira, 20 August 2015 – On Tuesday 18 August, MONJUSCO, through its civil Affairs section, attended a monthly meeting of the Commission on the Populations’ Movements CMP in Uvira.
In attendance were representatives of the local and international NGOs including IEDA-Relief, AHADI, AJDC, CEDIER, FADC, CIRESKI, ADED, SOAPN, as well as OCHA and MONUSCO.
Bunia: A delegation from the Office of the Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General for the African Great Lakes region visited Bunia on 11 - 12 August 2015 to assess the impact of the activities for women’s participation to the stabilization and peace process funded through a Women Platform supportive of the Peace, Security, Cooperation Framework Agreement and the UN Resolution 1325.
The Hague, Netherlands | AFP | Friday 8/21/2015 - 15:31 GMT
Former Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga denied on Friday he interfered with witnesses in a case before the International Criminal Court, as he pleaded for a reduction of his 14-year sentence.
In its first-ever conviction, the Hague-based ICC in 2012 sentenced Lubanga to 14 years in jail for using child soldiers in his rebel army in the conflict-ridden and vast central African country.