Date of disaster: 26 January 2016
Operation start date: 27 January 2016
Host National Society(ies): Maldivian Red Crescent
Number of people affected: 12,000
Number of people to be assisted: 375 (75 families)
Starting in July 2015, fires have burnt a total of 2,089,911 hectares of land; 80 per cent in Sumatra and Kalimantan islands. As reported by BNPB on 6 November, 556,945 people suer from acute respiratory infections and more than 43 million people have been aected by the haze. Rains since the last week of October have significantly improved the situation; however, thin haze remained in Ogan Ilir district of South Sumatra and Kerinci district of Jambi until mid November. Since November, numbers of detected hotspot were insignificant.
Luanda - Mapping of hazards and risk areas is being implemented to prevent disasters and other occurrences that claim lives and destruction of the State and people-owned properties, said Luanda Provincial Command of Civil Protection and Fire-Fighter Service (SPCB).
The fact was announced by the head of the Operational Planning area of SPCB, Flávio Chimbundi.
Chimbundi said that the initiative involves awareness campaigns among the population to prevent illegal grabbing of land, mainly in hazardous areas.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
Overview of Disaster Incidences in October, 2015
Disaster incidents in October include only two types of hazards i.e. riverbank erosion and fire. Riverbank erosion was the most common incident in October. Incidents of riverbank erosion were reported especially in the 1st quarter of the month as well on October 17 and 31. Fire incidents occurred in 3 places on October 1 and 16.
Overview of Disaster Incidences in September, 2015
Flood situation deteriorated in September and along with consequent riverbank erosion, it severely affected much community. Other natural hazards in September include flash floods and land slide. Flash flood occurred on September 1 and 22. The rate of riverbank erosion affected several places in 17 districts. Landslides occurred in Cox's Bazar and Chittagong district. Apart from these hazards, embankment collapse, fire incidents and boat capsize occurred in September.
Overview of Disaster Incidences in August, 2015
By Denis McClean
TEHRAN, 5 October 2015 - Iran’s commitment to ensuring Safe Schools was made clear yesterday as it announced plans to spend $3 billion over the next five years to complete its programme of retrofitting or reconstructing all public schools located in the country’s seismic zones.
The country has also offered to share its technical expertise and knowledge with other countries in the Worldwide Safe Schools Initiative (WISS) launched by UNISDR and partners at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in Sendai, Japan, in March.
Central America - Food Insecurity
• Guatemala - a food insecure population of 1 to 2.49 million people from February until next main harvest in August 2016.
• Honduras, many poor households will have very limited maize reserves after the 2015 drought and will be facing a food crisis by March.
• El Salvador & Nicaragua - the number of people affected is lower but still of concern with critical numbers being reached from March 2016.
The Papua New Guinea Fire Chief says the service will not be able to assist many of the people battling fires around the country.
Read more on Radio New Zealand International.
CCCM Agency – RSG, UNHCR and LW
A regular CMC meeting was held on 11th August. The meeting was participated by 31 (12 Female) CMC members, representatives from camp based committees (Food Management Committee-FMC) and Women Development Group-WDG).
Shelter repair and maintenance issue was discussed by LWF with Camp Management Committee (CMC) and land owners/hosts on 14th August.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
A fire that reached the highest alarm broke out on 2 March 2015 in the densely-populated compound of Parola in Tondo in the Philippine capital, Manila. More than 10,000 families (50,000 people) were affected, losing homes and essential household items. More than 1,000 houses were destroyed or damaged by the fire. Most of the affected people took refuge in evacuation centres set up by the city government of Manila.
Yangon, 31 Aug—Residents in 13 wards in Shwepyitha Township will soon be provided with clean drinking water from Nyaunghnapin water treatment plant, said Yangon City Development Committee.
New water pipelines will be laid out in the township and existing water pipelines cleaned. The water supply network will include 80 taps dedicated to the prevention of fire. YCDC is currently supplying 205 million gallons of water sourced from Gyobyu, Phugyi, Hlawga dams and Ngamoeyeik water treatment plant.
—Yi Yi Myint, Ohnma Thant
This case study is about the women’s initiative at community of Lalitpur-12, Nepal to lessening the risk of most recurrent fire disaster. Against heavier issues of policy formulation to institutionalisation of efforts such as effective building code implementation, develop & implement Local Disaster Risk Management Plan (LDRMP) and develop highly qualified rescuers in the community, Community people particularly women groups chose first to develop local capacity on fire safety.
The good quality characteristics it relates to are:
Qatar Red Crescent (QRC) has launched a new project to deliver clean drinking water to the local communities inside Syria, at a total cost pf $179,000 (QR 651,170).
During the first phase, QRC's office in Turkey purchased four large water tanks to provide drinking water to civilians in Syria.
Generally, water facilities and networks have been destroyed due to the four-year Syrian crisis. There are no official authorities to secure drinking water for households and public utilities.
Ghana’s Embassy in Cote D’Ivoire has through the effort of His Excellency Lt. General P.A. Bay, presented a cash donation of Five Thousand, Four Hundred and Fifty Nine US Dollars (US5,459 Dollars) to the management of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) at a brief ceremony in Accra.
The donation which was made on behalf of the June 3 flood and fire disaster victims by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration took place on Monday August 3, 2015.