Programme Manager, humanitarian mine action
DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for a energetic, competent, and experienced Programme Manager with diplomatic and strategic skills skills for our Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) Programme in South Sudan. As a Programme Manager, you will be heading our efforts to secure a safer environment for the local population in one of the most deprived and war-affected areas in the world.
DCA’s Humanitarian Mine Action Programme in South Sudan commenced in 2012 and is an integrated part of DCA’s portfolio of programs under the DCA Regional Office in Juba. The HMA programme is about Safer Communities. It focuses on clearance of UXO spot tasks; Risk Education; Armed Violence Reduction; and sustainable capacity building of national partners. DCA will also be considering activities related to victims assistance and community based psychosocial support projects in 2014. DCA strives to incorporate HMA activities with livelihood and other programs implemented by the DCA Regional Office and ACT Alliance organizations and partners, to ensure synergy and long-term effects of clearance activities.
The Programme Manager refers to the DCA Regional Representative in South Sudan for in-country management and you are responsible to the Head of Mine Action in DCA for ensuring that HMA activities are conducted in accordance with DCA global objectives, for compliance with technical standards and safety, for reporting, proposal outputs and for compliance with the requirements of the DCA HMA Handbook.As Programme Manager, you will lead the South Sudan HMA programme. You will assume responsibility for all activities and elements of the programme, including management of the 5 international and over 30 national staff, resource mobilisation, communications, finance, administration and logistics support.
Coordination with partners and donors, and networking, will be one of your priorities. The Programme Manager is responsible for reporting and writing of proposals for donors, through DCA HQ. You will delegate effectively to the respective international and national managers, who will report to you on progress and challenges. The Programme Manager is responsible for ensuring that the different units of the programme coordinate their work, and that regular management and coordination meetings are arranged.
The posting is a non-family duty station and based in Juba. Travel to other areas of South Sudan on regular intervals is to be expected.
- A job which will make a difference and improve the lives of people living at risk from landmines and other explosive remnants of war
- Decision making competence within the set framework of the programme
- Challenging and varied work tasks
- Opportunity to expand the existing programme and spearhead a closer integration with peace and livelihood activities
- Committed colleagues in South Sudan and support from HQ on all aspects of the programme
- Competitive salary package, comprehensive insurance as per industry standards, one free yearly leave ticket and free housing
- Six weeks paid leave per annum plus R&R package
We are looking for
- Proven experience in results based management and leadership
- Previous experience with Mine Action and/or development programmes in Africa
- The ability to cope in a challenging environment
- Accountability and integrity
- Proven proposal and report writing skills
- The ability to lead and motivate staff in a hardship environment
- Experience in qualitative documentation of results
- Cultural sensitivity, proven diplomatic skills and the ability to build relations both within and outside DCA
- Entrepreneurial drive and commitment to getting the job done
- English at business level
All interested irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applications consisting as a minimum of a motivation letter and a CV will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on DCA’s HMA programme in South Sudan please visit http://www.danchurchaid.org/what-we-do/mine-action
The deadline for application is July 31 with interviews scheduled for August 11-14, 2014.
To apply online, please go to "get involved" at www.danchurchaid.org