Alternative Dispute Resolution Legal Specialist, Kazakhstan (Volunteer)
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative seeks a mediation and alternative dispute resolution legal specialist for our program in Kazakhstan that aims to build the capacity of justice system institutions in ADR methods and techniques. The Legal Specialist will work closely with stakeholders to develop course curriculum and course material that will be piloted for judges as a regular, mandatory continued legal education course. This legal specialist would be working in Astana for at least 6 months, but preferably 8 months.
- Develop mediation course curriculum;
- Develop mediation course materials;
- Conduct seminars on mediation for judges in the Institute of Justice:
- Provide expertise on the development of arbitration course materials and curricula;
- Coordinate closely with country-specific stakeholders, including judges, professors, ADR centers, lawyers, and other relevant organizations to ensure responsive and relevant outputs;
- Assist with program briefing and reporting requirements for donor;
- Assist with implementation of annual work plan of activities;
- Assist with reports writing;
- Perform monitoring and evaluation of program activities relevant to ADR deliverables.
- An advanced degree in law, political science, public policy, management or a related field;
- Experience in alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, specifically mediation, arbitration a plus;
- Experience working with judges on mediation and arbitration issues;
- Experience in teaching and developing curriculum;
- Experience in promoting mediation as a mechanism of alternative dispute resolution in the justice system;
- Relevant knowledge of international best practices in ADR mechanisms;
- Previous experience in Central Asia is preferred;
- U.S. government grant management experience preferred;
- Fluency in English required; Russian or Kazakh language skills a plus.
To apply, please visit http://abanet.devhire.devex.com/jobs/328185. Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.