Youth participation advisor- OPTI
Country: Occupied Palestinian Territory
Place of appointment (city): Ramallah
Length of contract: 6 months
Departure: September 2017
All of Oxfam's partners in the country of assignment receiving support on the theme of youth participation under the program “Improving Capacities for a Sustainable Economic and Social Growth through Innovation” ACCESS INNOVATION (PAI). They are primarily civil society organizations.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The PAI is funded by the Canadian Government through Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and implemented by Oxfam-Québec in 11 countries. The central approach of the program is based on the assignment of Canadian (or Canadian permanent resident) Technical Advisors in countries of intervention. Their collective mandate is to increase the technical, administrative and financial capabilities of local partner organizations. Support provided should enable partners to innovate and generate sustainable changes in their environments in terms of economic growth, food security, gender equality, good governance and environmental sustainability. The program, furthermore, focuses on the development of models and innovative intervention approaches through a process supported by a network of Canadian partners, composed of recognized civil society organizations, research institutes as well as socially-responsible private companies.
The PAI program puts youth at the heart of all its interventions, since they are too often deprived of opportunities and decision-making power and influence. To do this, Oxfam has developed a specific strategy, along with networks of expertise that support the full participation of youth in target countries.
Under the responsibility of the Youth Active Citizenship (YAC) Technical Advisor (TA) and in collaboration with Oxfam colleagues in-country, the Youth Participation Advisor performs his/her mandate to ensure the achievement of results of the program by providing support to partners in his/her fields of expertise.
In accordance with the policies, standards and procedures of Oxfam, the Youth Participation Advisor undertakes the following responsibilities:
Development of the sector
- Monitor published research on the theme of citizen participation of youth in the region of assignment and within the Oxfam confederation
- Support analysis of the OPT context regarding youth citizenship participation
Development and capacity building
- Conduct an assessment study with the PAI’s partner YMCA-East Jerusalem in order to better understand the different groups of youth in Jerusalem identify a strategy to reach them and elaborate programs to better address their needs,
key elements of the study include:
- Reach and integrate youth from diverse marginalized background into the YMCA’s programs (Ex-detainees, youth from refugee camps, etc.),
- Enhance the links between the youth in East-Jerusalem and the rest of the West Bank,
- Increase the relation of the youth participants with the YMCA,
- Empower youth group participants to become leaders in their community,
- Revive the voluntary work.
- Based on the results, and in collaboration with Oxfam’s YAC-TA, a Youth strategic plan will be elaborated to structure the youth program’s activities and to develop a clear intervention strategy with specific targets, objectives and timeline.
Monitoring – Evaluation – Accountability – Learning (MEAL)
- Supporting partners and allies in the quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the results they have achieved in terms of youth citizen participation
- Coordinate reporting—at the Oxfam program level program in country—of the results achieved in terms of citizen participation of the youth according to established standards
- Contribute to the documentation of learning and innovations developed by Oxfam and its partners and allies regarding youth citizenship participation (lessons learned, best practices, methodologies, approaches, life stories, etc.)
Networks of expertise
- Participate in the Oxfam expertise network on the citizen participation of the youth
- Facilitate the participation of local partners/allies in networks of expertise on the youth citizen participation, especially those coordinated by Oxfam
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status
- University degree in international development, social work, sociology, public administration, management in any other relevant field
- At least three (2) years of relevant experience in the field of citizen participation • Experience working with youth
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team
- International development work experience (an asset)
WORK EXPERIENCE ABROAD AND IN THE COUNTRY
- Experience working in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (an asset).
SPECIFIC SKILLS FOR THIS POSITION
- Strategic planning linked to international development
- Results Based Management (RBM)
- Oral and written communication
- Intercultural skills
- Design and adaptation of training tools
- Facilitation and leadership of groups
- Mastery of Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and Skype
LANGUAGE (S) OF WORK
- English/French spoken and written
- and Arabic (an asset).
- Adherence to the mission and values of Oxfam-Québec, including the promotion of gender justice
- Inclusive Leadership
- Ability to adapt to changing environments
- Diplomacy and good judgment
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Autonomy and initiative
- Ability to work under pressure
This is a volunteer position. All monetary compensations are paid in Canada and are not subject to taxation.
- Monthly allowance: 2734 $ CAD. First month of contract, allowance is 4205 $ CAD to cover installation expenses.
- Travel insurance, life and disability insurance;
- Amount for housing: 1300 $ CAD monthly;
- Round trip flight.
Interested in this position? Please apply by submitting your resume and a letter of interest to RecrutVolontaire.email@example.com . Be sure to specify the job title and country of assignment in the subject line (e.g. Development and Management Advisor – Bolivia, La Paz).
Oxfam-Québec is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected will be contacted.
No phone calls please.