Medical coordinator (M/F) Bulgaria - Sofia
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.MdM France in Bulgaria is currently running two projects. MdM France has thus been present in Bulgaria since 2004, with a Roma health mediator program in Sliven, having a specific focus on sexual and reproductive healthcare, which is recognized on local and national level. The project is funded by MdM France, the French Embassy in Bulgaria and the Sliven Municipality through the support of the Swiss-Bulgarian Cooperation.
MdM France is also currently implementing a migrants/refugees’ health project in the country. The aim of the project is to provide healthcare to migrants/refugees, and to improve protection of unaccompanied minors in 4 Reception and Registration centers in the country.**
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the medical coordinator you are responsible for the medical quality, supervision and coordination of MdM projects in Bulgaria.You perform your tasks under the overall supervision of the general coordinator in Bulgaria. You closely work with the medical advisor for Eurasia Unit and any other technical advisor, who are based at HQ in Paris.
More specifically you:
- Coordinate all medical aspect of MdM projects in Bulgaria
- Ensure and oversee the quality and the relevance of the medical activities for both projects (Migrants in Sofia / Harmanli; Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sliven)
- In collaboration with the GenCo, ensure that MdM medical quality procedures are in place and implemented
- Ensure technical support to the two program teams through the regular field visits and team meetings
- Follow the national medical legal framework/polices, including control of communicable diseases
- Ensure the Gender Based Violence (and any other specific topics) are considered by the staffs and that appropriate measures are taken (referrals, etc)
- Participate in the development of general strategy for MdM activities, along with the GenCo and the team and ensure that the different components of projects are consistent with MdM strategy
- Conduct health needs assessments as identified by the MdM or partners teams, or as requested by stakeholders and partners
Representation and external relations
- Promote the MdM philosophy and protocols to partners (LNGO, MoH, …)
- Maintain regular relation with the director of hospitals to assure the reception of medical referrals
- Monitor the health situation in the country with a special regards to the MdM thematics
- Ensure the quality of the data collection
- Analyse data from the daily activities
- Report on the health and sanitary humanitarian situation in the RRCs to the, General Coordinator and to HQ
- Participate in the writing of proposals for institutional donors if requested
Management / HR
- Identify HR needs, overseeing recruitment of medical staff, and introduction for the new team members about MdM standards and values in coordination with the administrative and logistic coordinator and the HR department
- Increases team’s awareness and sensibility on human rights problems and make sure the team is acting in accordance to humanitarian principles
Internal and external trainings
- Identify training needs of MdM staffs and ensure formal and on-job training for MdM medical teams
- Identify trainings needs for partners (health authorities and local NGOs), organize trainings and ensure the quality of the content
- Elaborate Drug Purchase Orders, and conduct the purchase in collaboration with the logistic team
- Supervise the delivery of drugs and consumables to the field in weekly bases, and avoid shortage
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 5 months
- Position to be filled as soon as possible.
Frequent travels to Harmanli and Sliven.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Medical or paramedical background as doctor, nurse or midwife;
Technical skills in medical project management in humanitarian context;
Previous experience as a medical advisor or medical coordinator in humanitarian context
Experience and ability to work in emergency;
Necessity to manage priorities and to adapt them daily according to the context.
Personal skills required
Excellent organizational skills / Ability to classify and to manage priorities
Ability to listen and share decisions / Ability to take effective decisions according to the context
Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
Good writing and communication skills.
English: fluent speaking and writing
Bulgarian: is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.