Communications Officer – Erbil
QANDIL is a Swedish non-profit, non-political, non-religious humanitarian aid organization that was founded in 1991 in Stockholm, Sweden. Having continuously operated in the Kurdistan Region ever since, QANDIL’s main priorities of work are construction and infrastructure activities, refugee and IDP initiatives, health, water, sanitation and hygiene, and capacity building.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Manages overarching communication, visibility and outreach of QANDIL’s work,
· Reporting to the Country Director, he/she works closely with QANDIL’s Programs Director, Heads of Field Offices, Project Managers, Supervisors, and M&E teams to collect accurate information about initiatives and activities, and to report them in QANDIL’s communication tools,
· Pays regular visits to sites in urban and rural areas where projects are conducted,
· Develops a well-organized archive of QANDIL’s publications and communications,
· Collects information, takes pictures, and writes in flawless English on the activities,
· Develops internal and external publications like newsletters, press releases, email announcements, and publications, including drafting annual donor reports and disseminating them on time,
· Ensures that the public views QANDIL and its activities favorably and positively,
· Builds up contacts and launches awareness raising campaigns when appropriate,
· Approaches media outlets to set up interviews with QANDIL representatives about key activities and initiatives,
· Attends meetings and conferences to promote QANDIL and its humanitarian aid work,
· Suggests to the Country Director creative measures to raise QANDIL’s visibility,
· Participates in sharing and planning meetings, making sure a right message is communicated,
· Facilitates regular communications with donors, maintains cooperative partnerships between QANDIL and donors and other possible stakeholders,
· Assists CD and PD to prepare and write progress and annual reports, annual work plans, status reports, concept note and project proposals,
· Conducts occasional field visits in accordance with the monitoring and evaluation plan with other organization officers,
· Works on all administration aspects of the role to a timely and accurate standard, and
· Undertake other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications (Education, Knowledge, and Abilities):
· University Degree or equivalent (preferably in Communications, international development, economics, social sciences, community development, democracy and governance or equivalent experience, or other related field),
· Fluency in English, Arabic and Kurdish are desirable but not a must.
· Experience in writing and documentation of meetings and workshops, guides and technical material,
· Minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in a related field,
· Understanding of, and preferably experience in, NGO work, including but not limited to human rights, refugees, and IDPs,
· Excellent computer literacy including graphic designing,
· Maintaining positive and effective working relationships with staff, partners, and the public;
· Plans, schedules, and organizes multiple priorities and a high volume of work,
· Demonstrates ability to work independently with effective time management skills. Well-organized, resourceful with good planning and problem-solving abilities,
· Has worked in a developing country for at least 2 years, and has a good knowledge of international development issues, trends and approaches,
· A proactive attitude, drive and enthusiasm to carry out projects to conclusion, and
· Commitment to QANDIL’s vision, mission, values and goals.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants must send their most recent CV with a cover letter to email@example.com. Subject line must read: Communications Officer - Erbil.
Note: Applications not meeting the specified minimum requirements or received after closing date may not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview that may include a written test of communication and writing skills.