Program Manager, University Affiliates
About the Fair Labor Association
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
Fair Labor Association’s University Program**
FLA’s university affiliates are committed to ensuring that fair labor standards and human rights are respected wherever their branded merchandise is produced. FLA-affiliated universities require their licensees — any company manufacturing products bearing the school's marks or logo — to commit to the FLA Workplace Code of Conduct. Licensees are required to meet strict standards, and to develop social compliance systems that identify risks to workers and fix problems quickly when they are identified. FLA provides tools for college and university administrators to monitor the performance of their licensees. We currently have about 200 colleges and universities affiliated with the FLA.
The Program Manager, University Affiliates will serve as the primary point of contact at the FLA for our affiliated colleges and universities, and as such, will be responsible for conducting outreach to various campus stakeholders (such as trademark licensing directors, licensing advisory committees, faculty, and students) including drafting and editing a variety of communications materials for this constituent group. S/he will work closely with the Program Manager(s) in the Stakeholder Services and Communications group to keep universities informed about the efforts of collegiate licensees to meet FLA requirements and strengthen their internal social compliance programs. In addition, the Program Manager(s) will support the Training & Capacity-Building Manager in defining training priorities and developing materials for the FLA’s university and licensee affiliates. The Training & Capacity Building Manager reports to the Director, Stakeholder Services and Communications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Serve as the primary FLA contact for university affiliates.
· Draft and edit communications materials for the university audience on various platforms.
· Manage annual university meeting and other university-related events.
· Facilitate development of the student intern program of the university advisory council.
· Monitor campus coverage of FLA and related organizations and issues.
· Respond to university inquiries, some of which relate to the compliance status of their licensees.
· Field email inquiries and requests from the media on campus-related issues.
· Support working groups on policy impacting university and licensee affiliates.
· Support development of knowledge-building webinars and training sessions for university and Category C and D licensee affiliates on FLA’s work and current labor issues of interest.
· Proactively reach out to universities about joining the FLA and respond to inquiries from universities considering FLA affiliation.
· Work toward establishing ties with faculty in affiliated universities who work on labor and social responsibility issues.
· Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree a plus
· Knowledge of international labor standards and labor issues companies face in enforcing labor standards in supplier facilities around the world
· Four to six years of professional experience in nonprofit communications, labor relations, corporate social responsibility or other relevant field
· Excellent writing and editing skills
· Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
· Interest in and commitment to FLA’s mission
· Outstanding organization and time management skills, with attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information, and deliver on deadlines
· Tech and social media savvy
· Familiarity with blogging and email distribution platforms such as Wordpress and Constant Contact
Please upload a cover letter, resume and writing sample at FLA Careers.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. Position will require some domestic travel.
Fair Labor Association
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 401
Washington, DC 20036