Program Analyst, Hepatitis
Founded in 2002, by President William J. Clinton and Ira Magaziner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (“CHAI”) is a global health organization committed to strengthening integrated health systems and expanding access to care and treatment in the developing world. CHAI's solution-oriented approach focuses on improving market dynamics for medicines and diagnostics; lowering prices for treatment; accelerating access to lifesaving technologies; and helping governments build the capacity required for high-quality care and treatment programs. Since its inception, CHAI's programs have helped more than 11.8 million people in more than 70 countries have access to CHAI-negotiated prices for HIV/AIDS medicines, saving the global health community billions of dollars. For more information, please visit: www.clintonhealthaccess.org.
The Viral Hepatitis Program in Rwanda commenced its support to the Ministry of Health (MoH) in late 2014. The major barrier to treatment for Hepatitis C (Hep C), worldwide but also in Rwanda is the extremely high cost of drugs. CHAI has been working in partnership with MoH for the past years to develop hepatitis guidelines, cost a national program, and assist in drug price negotiations for Hepatitis C. In parallel to support around Hep C, CHAI is also supporting the Government of Rwanda in their decision for the care and management of Hepatitis B (Hep B).
With CHAI's support Rwanda aims to get all patients infected with viral hepatitis B & C on treatment by getting affordable medications which can be included in the Rwandan Community Based Health Insurance Scheme ( locally known as the Mutuelle), and eradicating transmission of mother to child Hep B with the implementation of the universal vaccine.
The CHAI Rwanda Hepatitis program is seeking a highly motivated, flexible individual to provide technical support to the CHAI team and the Rwanda Biomedical Center (RBC). The program requires someone who is keen to learn, flexible with a strong analytical mind, excellent skills in Excel and ideally SPSS or STATA. Based at CHAI with potential work at the Ministry/RBC the candidate must have a high degree of self-confidence and cultural sensitivity as he/she will be working closely with both MoH and NGO partners, and will be helping to set the tone for CHAI's work in Rwanda.
The program analyst will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks, from quantitative analysis and model development in Excel, to conducting site visits to collect appropriate data, to coordinating, arranging and leading broad stakeholder meetings to gain consensus on proposed recommendations, guidelines and strategic documents. The program analyst will report to the Senior Program Manager for Health.
- Provide support to the Rwandan Hepatitis Program on program development relating to viral hepatitis
- Work closely, on a regular basis with RBC staff in the development of the Rwandan Hepatitis Program in Rwanda
- Attend technical working groups on hepatitis, represent CHAI and present evidence to aid decision making
- Support The Rwandan Hepatitis Program in the development, coordination and implementation of trainings, conferences and meetings
- Support the Rwandan Hepatitis Program to translate its programmatic objectives into operational plans with detailed budgets
- Support the development of programmatic reports by creating content, analyzing data, and synthesizing project activities
- Helping the Rwandan Hepatitis Program in its communication and dissemination of messages, related to strategic decisions and priorities, with NGOs and key funding organizations
- Provide technical and capacity building assistance to the Rwandan Hepatitis Program
- Support the CHAI/RBC collaboration in terms of Hepatitis as this fledgling program moves forward and grows
- Identify areas where support is needed, plan for and design the programmatic support
Perform any other work-related duties as assigned by the Senior Program Manager
A medical degree or an advanced university/ Bachelor's degree, preferably in Public Health, or a related discipline
Very strong quantitative skills, including experience working in Microsoft Excel
Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and ability to build relationships
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
Strong communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentation
Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a very fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
Detail-oriented with strong organization and time-management skills