Senior WASH Advisor – Humanitarian Surge Team
2 Year Fixed Term Contract
We are looking for an experienced and flexible individual to join us as Senior WASH Advisor in our Humanitarian Surge Team (HST). Internationally mobile, you will support emergency response, preparedness and capacity building, through to surge and desk support for new and ongoing WASH, health and nutrition programmes.
Working in more than 120 countries, we do whatever it takes to create breakthroughs in the way the world treats children. Our Humanitarian department integrates emergency and development work, through our country programmes. It increases our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. Together, we save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfil their potential.
As Senior WASH Advisor, you will play an important role, building organisational expertise in humanitarian WASH support for medical structures, nutritional centres and affected communities. As part of the Humanitarian Surge Team you will be deployed for short, medium-term assignments for surge capacity to a country programme by either filling a WASH advisory vacant position and/or adding further skills and experience to country programmes. In addition, you will:
- Support programmes in chronic complex and new emergencies, whilst contributing to our ambition for growing the quality and reach of our WASH, health and nutrition programmes
- Lead the WASH emergency response where Save the Children is scaling up and where we need immediate emergency expertise, in a medium or large-scale complex emergency
- Be involved with capacity building of individuals and/or country programmes to ensure that programmes are being run effectively and with required quality
- On occasion carry out rapid assessment, programme design, coordination, support fundraising, capacity analysis, monitoring & evaluation activities or recruitment and procurement in emergency responses
- Provide technical leadership to analyse and support WASH work.
To be successful you will be educated to Masters Degree level or higher in WASH engineering, civil, hydraulic, environmental engineering, and related fields, or have equivalent field experience. A proven leader with excellent analytical and communication skills, you will have significant experience in the design and implementation of Humanitarian WASH programmes internationally. In addition, you will have:
- A proven track record of developing programme strategies, plan, protocols and guidelines
- Considerable experience in needs assessment, programme evaluation, programme development and writing funding proposals and reports
- Substantial proven experience of supporting programmes through distance management
- Considerable proven experience of confidently and professionally representing organisations to the WASH sector and donors at senior level
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high and diverse workload in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines.
Language skills in French and/or Arabic are desirable, as is experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
All members of our HST team are available and ready to be deployed anywhere in the world at short notice. You will normally work unusual hours, undertake a lot of travel (up to 80% of the time) and will often work in stressful and insecure environments. In return, you will receive 35 days Annual Leave per year, medical insurance while on deployment, travel and accommodation provided for, paid R&R, gross salary paid from UK plus hardship allowance, complexity allowance and expensive posting allowance where applicable.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 30th June 2017
To apply please visit our website.