Programme/Area Manager Kirkuk
Position Title: Programme/Area Manager - Kirkuk
Location / department: Resident in Erbil with a programmatic and management focus on Kirkuk Governorates
Length of contract: 12 months, with possibility to renew.
Responsible to: Head of Program
Line Management of: Kirkuk Programme Team and Support Staff (logistics, finance, admin)
Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international humanitarian and development organisation undertaking disaster relief and development programmes in Asia and the Middle East.
Mission East has been responding to the current displacement crisis in Iraq since August 2014, and has past experience supporting returnees in the Kurdish region in 2003-2005.
Mission East provides assistance for both the urgent basic needs for those who have recently fled from the violence as well as longer-term support for those who have been displaced for more than two years now and those who are able to return to their home areas.
Our current programme includes NFI and shelter interventions, WASH assistance, livelihoods support and child protection and psychosocial support activities delivered through multi-purpose community centres.
Mission East is currently active in Ninewa, Dohuk and Kirkuk Governorates.
Mission East works in partnership in Iraq with our Integral Alliance Partner, World Relief and local partner, Humanity NGO.
More information on Mission East can be found at: http://www.missioneast.org
The Area Manager will be responsible for overall supervision, administration and implementation of humanitarian projects aimed at serving the needs of conflict-affected populations in Mission East’s areas of work in Kirkuk Governorate. The Area Manager will provide leadership in developing, implementing and measuring the impact of Mission East’s programme in his/her area of management, and will also be responsible for managing Kirkuk staff and operations.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Strategy and Vision
• Support senior management in developing the strategic direction of the overall response.
• Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
• Recognize opportunities for innovative and collaborative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
• Oversee all aspects of the project management cycle and facilitate involvement of programme team members in this cycle.
• Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with international humanitarian standards, Mission East’ principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
• Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria and accountability principles.
• Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including assessment, beneficiary selection, distribution and other implementation processes.
• Develop partnerships with local implementing partners and build-capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal training to enhance partner success in jointly-implemented projects.
• Provide technical input on specific sectoral areas of own expertise for project design, staff/partner training, and quality monitoring as possible and required.
• Coordinate closely with sector advisors (where applicable) on the development, implementation and monitoring of programming related to their sector of expertise.
• Integrate community participation, gender sensitivity, inclusion of people with disabilities, protection principles and accountability into all activities as appropriate.
• Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget to reach desired impacts.
• In close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) department, ensure that effective M&E systems are in place
• Create and maintain systems ensuring timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mission East’ policies and procedures.
• Compile internal and external reporting on programming in the Manager’s geographic area of responsibility.
Promotion of the Core Humanitarian Standard
• Provide training for Mission East Iraq and partner staff on the Core Humanitarian Standard and promote its implementation within the organisation.
• Lead the program team in implementation of the response.
• Lead support staff, facilitate effective coordination between departments and oversee functioning of the Area Office in your assigned location.
• Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
• Support recruitment; and orient and supervise new team members, in line with Mission East’s HR policies.
• Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives; providing coaching or identifying external training resources as necessary.
• Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management
• Responsible for ensuring effective programme input to financial systems.
• Analyse and control programme spending against established project budgets and contribute to budget development for new projects.
• Ensure compliance with donor and Mission East regulations related to programming.
• Build and/or maintain operational systems that ensure proper administrative support for programs.
Representation & Coordination
• Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with clusters, partners, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
• Participate in or delegate participation in relevant emergency clusters; gathering information, contributing information, and ensuring follow-up on relevant information for effective coordination with other actors, and assurance that Mission East is a known actor in relevant clusters.
• Coordinate closely with local authorities to ensure that Mission East’s programmes remain in accordance with governmental strategies and KRG/Iraqi law
• Represent Mission East at various forums as requested by Country Director
• Produce communications materials (written and photos) for Mission East Magazine, Fundraising materials and PR as requested by Head office.
Safety and Security
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Responsible for health, safety and environmental assessment of programme activities and the Area Office in your assigned location.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Other possible duties, as agreed with the Head of Program/Country Director
Education should be of degree level or higher, preferably in a relevant discipline.
• More than 3 years of field experience in a humanitarian relief context
• Experience/expertise in one or more of the following priority sectors: Protection (specifically, child-friendly spaces and psychosocial support), NFI/Shelter, WASH, Cash Programming and/or Livelihoods.
• Significant field experience of senior level leadership, capacity building, field management, project planning and implementation, and budget management.
• Experience working in sensitive security environments.
• Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with local government, International and National NGOs, UN, and other stakeholders in complex environments.
• Familiarity with the international humanitarian coordination system
• Experience of living and working in Iraq or the Middle East would be a distinct advantage.
• Leadership and decision-making ability
• Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication and mediation skills
• Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
• Personnel management skills: ability to delegate, follow-up, supervise and support
• Knowledge of international humanitarian standards (including SPHERE and the Core Humanitarian Standard).
• Strong writing skills
• Strong external representational skills
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Some knowledge of Arabic or Kurdish would be an asset.
• Excellent computer skills
• Agreement with Mission East’s Organisational Values
To apply for this post please visit www.missioneast.org/vacancies, where you will be able to complete an application form.
Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Mission East will review application as they come. Deadline 11/05/2017