Farmer Contract Lead
Farmer Contract Lead
Who we are**
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small farmers to serve booming wood markets. With roots in San Francisco and headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2 million trees with more than 6,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
The Farmer Relations department is all about Komaza’s farmers - what matters to them, how they engage with their communities and Komaza, and how they understand and value their partnership with Komaza. Farmer Relations seeks deep insights directly from farmers, develops communication materials to effectively explain our partnership, and runs programs to keep them engaged throughout the long tree growth cycle.
About the Role
The foundation of our Komaza-Farmer partnership is our contract that defines the relationship. The Farmer Contract Lead will manage the process of overhauling our Farmer Contract, ensuring it’s aligned with our impact and business interests, as well as legally defensible and amenable to investors. You will drive our current working draft into a final contract by answering complex questions such as farmer compensation strategy, securing tree ownership when land ownership is ambiguous, and contract termination scenarios. This role will effectively define the strategy, policies and legal framework that will serve as the backbone of Komaza’s partnership with tens of thousands of farmers over the next few years.
You enjoy distilling chaotic or ambiguous challenges into easy-to-understand, solvable problems, and then leading a collaborative problem-solving process through to resolution. You can see a complex problem from many perspectives and, soliciting input from diverse stakeholders, develop a solution to appease everyone. Specifically, you have experience and understanding of both (i) sophisticated lawyers and commercial investors, and (ii) low-income/education clients, and you are excited to structure mutually beneficial public-private-people partnerships. You can work through minute details without losing sight of the big picture. You enjoy organizing teams around collective goals, and can get the best out of people at all times. You love making complex things simple and easy to explain.
What You Will Do
- Revise our outline of key challenges into a clear logic framework of questions and an actionable workplan to develop final policies and contract clauses.
- Develop and manage progress against a detailed project plan to ensure we finalize the contract before October 2017.
- Research precedents and solutions developed by similar organizations and advisory firms through extensive internet research and phone calls.
- Design, organize, and manage internal working groups to answer key questions.
- Coordinate communications and activities with diverse stakeholders deliver a top-quality work product on time.
- Manage the relationship and feedback loop with a supporting legal team, which will require phone, email, Skype, and some travel for in person meetings as needed.
- Ensure the accuracy of the contract’s content in its final form, and coordinate translation from English to Swahili.
- Create reports and PPTs to communicate progress and recommendations to Komaza’s senior leadership.
What You Will Have
- 4-7+ years of work experience at fast-growth startups or top-tier legal/consulting firms.
- Experience with contract law and/or commercial investors is a big plus.
- Experience with smallholder farmers or other low income/literacy clients is a big plus.
- Very strong writing skills, with excellent ability to organize complex information into well-structured, concise, easy-to-understand documents.
- Experience leading policy/legal/strategy projects that require coordinating and collating input from diverse stakeholders. This project will require soliciting and integrating input from Komaza’s senior leadership and investors, smallholder farmer focus groups, and third-party lawyers and advisors.
- Ability to identify and manage competing interests between stakeholders, find common ground or develop innovative solutions, or know when to give precedence to one stakeholder over others.
- Flexible and scrappy, with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done.
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
- A collaborative problem solver who thinks outside traditional constraints and seeks opinions of other teammates and departments in the pursuit of ever-better solutions.
- Fluent in English - Swahili would be a bonus, but is not necessary.
- This role is open to international candidates. East African nationals are also strongly encouraged to apply.
What we expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful impact in establishing this new contract to create the legal foundation for Komaza’s upcoming rapid growth. This role will be based at our current headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya, and will start as a 12-month contract, until the completion of the Farmer Contract. Additional opportunities for a strong performer may be available upon completion of this contract. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Application deadline is the 20th May 2017
To apply, please follow this LINK