ACADEMIC OFFICER (WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT)
Under the authority and supervision of the Director of UNU-FLORES, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
· Lead the research programme on water resources management considering close linkages with other resources such as waste and soil;
· Seek external funding support for research projects in the field of water resources management;
· Develop, establish and manage research projects in the field of water resources management, cooperate effectively with other academic officers/researchers on developing and implementing projects related to water-soil-waste nexus, and publish research results in peer-reviewed journals and book chapters;
· Lead analytical studies and policy analysis in a wide range of issues relevant to water development and identify emerging issues on water resources development and management considering other resources of interest to the member states and articulate policies, strategies and approaches to address them;
· Produce and lead preparation of research outcome in water resources management such as peer reviewed journal articles, books, reports, policy briefs;
· Develop management and governance models taking into account the specific features of water as a “revolving” resource;
· Develop cooperative research programmes by networking with colleagues within and outside of the institute;
· Coordinate outreach activities (publications, workshops, etc.) in the field of water resources management and cooperate with the Capacity Development and Governance unit to promote integrated water resources management and its capacity building;
· Provide functional support to UN-Water initiatives and promote inter-agency collaboration in the field of water resources management;
· Collaborate in developing study programmes on integrated resources management, contribute in teaching modules in the joint postgraduate programme of the institute and supervise PhD students and interns in the covered areas;
· Represent UNU-FLORES at major conferences addressing the issues related to water resources management and nexus approach to the sustainable management of environmental resources; Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Director.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
· A PhD in natural sciences or engineering related to water resources management;
· A minimum of five (5) years of progressively relevant work experience including managing research programmes in academia, research or other institutions;
· Proven strong research background and publications in areas related to the issues of water resources management;
· Experience in managing and seeking research funding from donors and international funding agencies;
· Proven skills in project management;
· Good knowledge of the international research agenda in water resources management, a focus on specific issues in developing and emerging countries would be an asset;
· Professional experience in teaching postgraduate programmes would be an asset;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Knowledge of other official UN language would be an asset;
· Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
· Highly self-motivated and organized;
· Detail oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude;
· Ability to independently prioritize; Willingness to travel.
We offer competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-3 level commensurate to level of experience and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common System, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave.
For more information about United Nations salary and entitlement/benefits, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The UNU Rector reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate at a lower level than that advertised.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment and an internationally recruited post. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of fixed-term appointments shall not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years old.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.
Starting Date: as soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the following:
· A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
· Full contact information of three (3) referees;
· The application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/FLORES/FTA/AO/WRM/23).
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8)