Programme Development and Quality Manager
GOAL has a long presence in Sierra Leone with activities in Western Area, Kenema, Bo, Bonthe, Bombali, Port Loko and Kambia Districts. The GOAL Sierra Leone programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of multi-sectorial, integrated programmes. The SL programs specifically focus on systems strengthening and community level behaviour change programming in maternal child health including nutrition and hygiene, sanitation and water as well as child protection and empowerment interventions. GOAL is engaged in several NGO consortia both as implementer and as a lead. GOAL mainstreams gender, child protection, HIV and environment across all programmes and operations.
Reporting to the Assistant Country Director – Programmes (ACD-P) the Programme Development and Quality Manager will support the GOAL programmes team through development and writing of proposals and budgets, compilation and completion of monthly and donor reports, monitoring of implementation against project plans, and support for individual programmes as needed, conducting project work contributing to a cycle of programme design, learning and adaptation. The PDQ Manager will ensure collaborative and consultative proposal development processes, sharing of accurate and up to date grant tracking information and submission of timely and high quality donor proposals and reporting, in addition to supporting evaluation and review of programme progress and adaptation.
Proposal and budget scoping and development
- Lead the proposal development process in close collaboration with the technical coordinators, M&E coordinator and ACDP. Involve the ACD-S, Finance Controller and Area Coordinators as appropriate in the development of high quality written proposals and associated budgets that meet the requirements of GOAL, the Government of Sierra Leone and donors.
- Research new funding opportunities and programme proposals, coordinating with the ACD-P and CD, the Business Development Unit and the Desk to maintain an up-to-date mapping of opportunities and developments within the relevant sectors.
- Keep updated grants and proposal tracking records to ensure all responsible staff are aware of deadlines and reporting requirements
- Coordinate, collate and assist programme staff with writing donor grant reports to ensure timely delivery of quality reporting, highlighting progress and achievement against plans.
- Coordinate/liaise with finance department and programme teams to ensure accurate and timely delivery of financial reports
- Provide support to programme Coordinators and Managers by participating in Grant Management meetings, disseminating grants/proposal documents, and responding to information requests from the field and from other partners.
- Coordinate the compilation of data from different teams for monthly consortia and donor reports
- In collaboration with the M&E and programme coordinators, update programme briefing packs to be used for external audiences.
- Ensure familiarity with GOAL’s strategic objectives and with compliance issues for GOAL and current and potential donors.
- Meet with Programme Coordinators and Managers on a regular basis to keep abreast of progress against implementation plan and identify areas where support is required.
- From these identified areas, conduct specific pieces of work focussing on programme evaluation, review, learning and assessment as agreed with the ACD-P and M&E Coordinator.
- Coordinate the information flow between programmes and senior management, facilitate learning meetings and reviews.
- Provide training/support to programme staff/teams on identified areas for improvement as pertains to grant management, reporting, proposal writing or evaluation of programmes as and when needed.
- Represent GOAL to external stakeholders as agreed with the ACD-P
- At the request of the ACD-P, take responsibility for other duties in line with the responsibilities outlined in this job description.
- Post-graduate qualification ideally with a specialisation in public health, development, humanitarian aid, international law, social sciences or another relevant field;
- At least three years’ experience in donor representation, proposal development, logical framework development and donor reporting (DFID, USAID, OFDA, EU, ECHO etc.);
- Experience of working in INGO consortia in a similar capacity providing coordination and communication/ information management support to humanitarian programmes.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English;
- IT skills, especially in Word and Excel with ability to analyse data and interpret statistical information.
- Ability to work under pressure, and prioritise workload according to the changing needs of the programme.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and commitment to capacity building.
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Enthusiastic, flexible and with the ability to work long hours to meet the needs of the programme
- Understanding of mainstreaming principles, including gender and child protection
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.