Compliance Advisor - Iraq
Rights Respected, People Protected
“We cannot let Iraqi civilians down again in this moment of truth,”
Wolfgang Gressmann, Country Director Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where large number of people are still in grave danger.
Compliance and Risk Management Advisor
Role Specific Information
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of the Iraq country & area offices systems in order to identify and mitigate risks; Map and consolidate those risks, gaps and findings
- Be one focal point for internal, external & donor audits: contribute to define action point and coordinate management response based on audit recommendations from external and internal auditor's reports and financial reviews. Follow up on all audit recommendations
- Based on assessment and audit feedback, support various department to provide targeted improvement plan that could include training, capacity building on NRC and donor regulations, introduction of new tools, review of structure, need for resources and provide recommendations, advice and guidance
- In cooperation with each department, be a leader in the harmonization of processes across the country operations
- Develop a risk management framework in the country, maintain a risk register & risk matrix
- Be the focal point for anti-corruption & counter terrorism awareness in the country, organize training, maintain whistleblowing register and update the corruption mapping.
- Contribute to organisational learning and development in compliance and anti-corruption at NRC by sharing learning, experience and best practice with other compliance and anti-corruption practitioners in NRC or externally
- Could be involved or assist in internal investigations when appropriate to do so
Our Ideal Candidate:
NRC is looking for a candidate with finance background who has a minimum of 5 years combined finance/audit/compliance experience with strong understanding of NRC core competencies and operating context.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Erbil
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs