In response to the calls to strengthen the role of civil society in responding to the MENA region’s displacement crisis, UNHCR is supporting the establishment of a regional network for civil society stakeholders in MENA to strengthen and amplify their voices and actions in favor of the protection and assistance of displaced persons, refugees and in support of host communities. The MENA CSND is an unprecedented platform, unique in its geographical scope and diversity of its members, bringing together a diverse membership from civil society groups including academia, economic sector, legal practitioners, media personnel and others to respond to the region’s biggest displacement crisis since World War II.
Position title: Executive Director
Salary: Depending on level of experience
Work Location: Amman, Jordan
Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week). The Executive Director is required to undertake international travel.
Length of role: One-year contract with potential for renewal, subject to funding and performance. (A three-month probationary period will apply).
Application Deadline: Thursday 30 March 2017**
Starting Date: **15 April 2017
The MENA CSND is seeking an Executive Director to coordinate and provide strategic support to the Network, leading it to its official launch in September 2017. The Executive Director, identified by and in consultation with UNHCR, will ensure the smooth functioning of the Network’s Secretariat. He/she will lead the MENA CSND’s strategic planning, governance, programs, projects, advocacy campaigns, partnerships and funding opportunities consistent with the Network’s values. Additionally, the Executive Director is expected to have the necessary diplomatic skills and knowledge to engage in high-level discussions relating to displacement, refugee, promoting the concept of humanitarian space, maintaining UN humanitarian principles.
· Substantial experience in managing an organization or network with a diverse portfolio of membership, services, programs and projects;
· Strong networking and relationship building skills with demonstrated capacity to communicate, negotiate and work with a diverse range of people and community groups and agencies;
· Highly developed advocacy, negotiation and written and oral communication skills;
· Highly developed and proven fund-raising abilities and demonstrated capacity to identify funding opportunities and to build and manage relationships with funding bodies;
· The capacity to lead and motivate teams, particularly in relation to vision-setting, strategic planning and governance;
· Experience of strong and effective relationships with international organizations, civil society, NGOs and the private sector. The candidate must have positive and pro-active strategies for building trust, confidence and productivity with partner organizations, and to working with organizations to develop their own capacity;
· Excellent interpersonal and people management skills, including demonstrated experience in engaging in cross-cultural contexts;
· Experience with multi-stakeholder processes and consultations in different contexts in order to design and implement coordinated responses and initiatives;
· Knowledge and experience of driving programmes for risk management, lesson learning, results-based management, extending best practice and promoting accountability.
· At an initial stage, the Executive Director will report to UNHCR as consultant.
· Seek direction from the MENA CSND Steering Committee and UNHCR and provide updates on progress.
· Ensure full and strict compliance with regulations and good practice for managing a not-for-profit organization.
Operational management and strategic planning.
· Lead in the development of common advocacy positions and collaborative activities on key issues in the region for joint advocacy.
· Coordinate strategic interventions in regional and international refugee-policy setting arenas.
· Develop public/private partnerships that will contribute to MENA CSND efficiency and effectiveness.
· Enhance innovative and mandate-focused strategies as well as develop public/private partnerships that will ensure MENA CSND is an efficient and transparent network.
External Relations and Representation
· Represent MENA CSND at international meetings, consultations and other key regional forums as required.
· Work with the MENA CSND Steering Committee and UNHCR on approaches to maintain and further develop MENA CSND’s relationships with its members and government, community, research and industry stakeholders and supporters.
· Ensure that MENA CSND and its mission, services, projects and events are consistently presented and with regard to key messages and network's key objectives.
· Lead and support the MENA CSND Secretariat to develop and implement effective communications, PR, media, promotional collateral and resources, and digital and social media.
Leadership and management
· Provide effective supervision of MENA CSND employees and support for their learning and professional development.
· Develop and implement systems and processes to support productive teamwork.
· Oversee the recruitment of team members in accordance with MENA CSND policy.
· Experience in the leadership of an organization for a minimum of 8 years.
· Minimum of 10 years work experience in refugee protection and/or providing humanitarian assistance, preferably at the national level or in regional/international contexts.
· Fluency in English and Arabic is required. Fluency in French is highly desirable.
· Post-graduate degree.
Please send a cover letter, CV and 3 references to:
MENA Policy Unit
UNHCR Bureau for the Middle East and North Africa