Area Manager - Mosul (Ninewa)
Rights Respected, People Protected
“We cannot let Iraqi civilians down again in this moment of truth,”
Wolfgang Gressmann, Country Director Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where large number of people are still in grave danger.
Area Manager – Mosul (Ninewa)
Role Specific Information
- Overall responsibility of setting up new Area Office, including hiring relevant program and support staff, implementing NRC processes and procedures
- Implement existing activities in line with NRC policies and procedures
- Complete assessments for new areas of operation, outline possible areas of intervention, and develop program strategy for implementation
- Support the development of concept notes, project proposals, and budget development for scale-up of emergency programming
- In conjunction with Country Office, liaising with donors on new funding and operational areas of programming
- Liaise regularly with authorities (political and security), donors and humanitarian actors in the area of operations;
- Represent NRC at coordination initiatives at area level
- Responsible for area specific input into Country and Area Office strategies including contingency plan
- Responsible for overall staff security, including completing security risk assessments for possible new areas of intervention
Our Ideal Candidate:
University graduate in relevant field, with a minimum of 5 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
Experience working in complex and volatile contexts with focus on establishing new office. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal. Arabic is an advantage.
We are particularly looking for a humanitarian professional with a background particularly working with UN or INGOs, who has proven management skills and able to set-up the office in Mosul (Ninewa)
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading NGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: 09 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Nineveh Governorate, Iraq
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs