Who we are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small farmers to serve booming wood markets. With roots in San Francisco and headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2 million trees with more than 6,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the team
Data plays a critical role at Komaza - by putting a smartphone in the hand of every single Field Extension agent, we are able to collect and analyze real-time information on all aspects of our value chain from Planting to Sales. Working in close collaboration with the Technology Development team (who create custom software to collect and store this data) Business Intelligence is the central nervous system of information at Komaza, and is tasked with designing new visualization tools, dashboards and human systems for leveraging data in our day-to-day operations. A core focus of the department is defining and managing the seams between our diverse data systems. Business Intelligence also runs our internal data science center, and is constantly asking and answering the question: how can we push the limits of using data and analysis to deliver better, faster, more effective service to our farmers and customers?
About this role
Our Data Analysts are tasked with designing better, smarter systems for data monitoring and insights development. We are seeking classically trained quant jockeys who are keen on applying their skill set to creating innovative solutions to our complex data challenges. These could include new approaches to organizing and validating our farmer data, modeling our tree assets, or tracking transaction flows from harvest to farmer payment. At Komaza, Data Analysts are like Product Managers for data - you will have complete ownership of a datastream and will be responsible for getting buy-in from, collaborating, and sharing insights with an eclectic set of stakeholders along that stream. The right candidate must also enjoy people management, and will play a leadership role overseeing the officers of our growing team of data administrators.
What You Will Do
- Map out project requirements by conducting internal interviews with relevant stakeholders
- Oversee a complete data lifecycle, including data, entry, monitoring, validation, analysis and reporting for one of our data streams
- Design new processes and toolkits for capturing and compiling data
- Manage a data officer &/or field foreman in the consistent collection of relevant data
- Experiment with a variety of new methods for analyzing data to deliver strategic insights into our business objectives
- Prepare periodic business performance analysis with recommendations for increasing operational efficiency
What You Should Have
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university preferably in Business Administration with a 3.5 and above GPA score
- Minimum of 2-5 years post-undergraduate, masters degree and full-time work experience in a banking or science background preferred
- Advanced proficiency in at least one of the following skills: Excel, SQL Queries, SSRS Reports, SSAS Data Cubes, Power BI (or other data visualization tool), R (or another statistical software package).
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts, & creative problem solving
- Experience with cost/benefit analysis, business case development, as well as modeling techniques and methods
- Excellent verbal and written communications, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- High energy and enthusiasm; Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Comfort working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing), but at the same time has global reach and ambitious international expansion plans.
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What we expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2+ years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Application deadline is the 16th April 2017
To apply, please follow this LINK