GIS Innovations Manager
GIS Innovations Manager
Who we are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small farmers to serve booming wood markets. With roots in San Francisco and headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2 million trees with more than 6,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the team
Data plays a critical role at Komaza - by putting a smartphone in the hand of every single Field Extension agent, we are able to collect and analyze real-time information on all aspects of our value chain from Planting to Sales. Working in close collaboration with the Technology Development team (who create custom software to collect and store this data) Business Intelligence is the central nervous system of information at Komaza, and is tasked with designing new visualization tools, dashboards and human systems for leveraging data in our day-to-day operations. A core focus of the department is defining and managing the seams between our diverse data systems. Business Intelligence also runs our internal data science center, and is constantly asking and answering the question: how can we push the limits of using data and analysis to deliver better, faster, more effective service to our farmers and customers?
About this role
Komaza is embarking on an ambitious journey to build detailed, accurate, beautiful maps of all of our farms, farming locations, and transportation arteries. These maps will be combined with operational data and custom software tools to provide an essential management platform to the company. As Komaza’s GIS Manager, you will provide the key leadership to making this vision a reality. You will be both a technical and team leader to this initiative, as well as research director to investigating how we can continue to push the limits of our use of geographic analysis - including acting as chief liaison to our current drone and satellite partners.
What You Will Do
- Research and recommend the latest GPS capture technologies
- Design and oversee process flows spanning the entire GIS data lifecycle, including data collection, transmission, validation, storage and reporting
- Train and manage field teams in the execution of mapping over 10,000 farms
- Monitor and manage our spatial data system to ensure rigorous record keeping and organization
- Compile GIS information into beautiful maps informing our technical forestry, planting, harvesting and fundraising activities
- Collaborate with Komaza’s Technology Development group for use of GIS frameworks to embed farm data in our custom management software
- Work with our partners to assess the operational value of drone and low-earth orbit imagery
What You Should Have
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university preferably in GIS or another scientific area with high academic marks
- Minimum of 2-5 years post-undergraduate, masters degree, or full-time work in a forestry or agricultural background preferred
- Advanced proficiency in at least one of the following skills: Microforest, ARCGIS, QGIS and Global Mapper
- Familiarity with capture technology and data analysis of cutting edge cartographic imagery such as drones or low-earth orbit satellites
- Written and verbal communication, including technical writing skills
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts, & creative problem solving
- Experience in team motivation, training, planning and management
- High energy and enthusiasm; Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Comfort working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing), but at the same time has global reach and ambitious international expansion plans.
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What we expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2+ years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Application deadline is the 16th April 2017
To apply, please follow this LINK