Who we are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small farmers to serve booming wood markets. With roots in San Francisco and headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2 million trees with more than 6,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the team
Data plays a critical role at Komaza - by putting a smartphone in the hand of every single Field Extension agent, we are able to collect and analyze real-time information on all aspects of our value chain from Planting to Sales. Working in close collaboration with the Technology Development team (who create custom software to collect and store this data) Business Intelligence is the central nervous system of information at Komaza, and is tasked with designing new visualization tools, dashboards and human systems for leveraging data in our day-to-day operations. A core focus of the department is defining and managing the seams between our diverse data systems. Business Intelligence also runs our internal data science center, and is constantly asking and answering the question: how can we push the limits of using data and analysis to deliver better, faster, more effective service to our farmers and customers?
About this role
As GIS Associate you be the hands-on implementer of GIS data systems at Komaza. You will manage the raw data stream of spafiles produced by all our GIS activities. This includes authoring protocols, running proof-of-concept experiments in the field, authoring protocols, training & coordinating field staff, maintaining equipment, and building maps.
What You Will Do
- Write evaluation and recommendation reports on key equipment selection leveraging excellent critical thinking skills, clear writing, and defensible logic
- Author testing protocols for key decisions, then conduct proof-of-concept trials and present results to management, using good judgement to deliver recommendations
- Train and coordinate field teams in the execution of mapping over 10,000 farms
- Receive GIS data transmissions from field staff and evaluate them for accuracy
- Clean, validate, and maintain meticulously organized records of all spatial data
- Generate accurate, beautiful maps in support of Komaza’s operating activities
- Attend trainings on, learn, master and train others on additional GIS information systems
What You Should Have
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university preferably in GIS or another scientific area with high academic marks
- Minimum of 2-5 years post-undergraduate, full-time work in a forestry or agricultural background preferred
- Advanced proficiency in at least one of the following skills: Microforest, ARCGIS, QGIS and Global Mapper
- Experience developing technical testing protocols, including hypothesis development and evaluation
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, including evaluation of new technologies
- Comfort with and enjoyment of field-based activities in rural areas
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts & creative problem solving
- Experience in team motivation, training, planning and management
- An eye for good graphics, such as a hobby interest in drawing, painting, or photography is a plus
High energy and enthusiasm; Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
Comfort working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing), but at the same time has global reach and ambitious international expansion plans.
Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What we expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2+ years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Application deadline is 16th April 2017
To apply, please follow this LINK