Human Rights Campaigner - MENA
Internews Europe is working with media outlets and Civil Society in the MENA region to develop their capacity and audience. As part of its activities, Internews provides editorial mentoring to media outlets and civil society to strengthen their editorial skills with particular regard to conflict sensitivity, people-oriented stories and gender.
Internews is supporting a local Human Rights Organisation in 2 activities:
· Monitoring violations against journalists in order to raise awareness and advocate for protection
· Monitoring and analysing media content in order to identify trends and pattern i.e. gender, journalism ethics, conflict sensitivity… to raise awareness on journalism practices in the country
To fulfil these activities, Internews Europe is looking for a pro-active, professional and enthusiastic Human Rights Campaigner with strong background in journalism and research to mentor a local organisation in their research and campaigning including producing media outputs.
The consultant must engage with the local partner positively and offer advice in a friendly and constructive manner. Note that it’s a home based position with one Face to Face workshop and Arabic proficiency is a must.
Scope of Work
In collaboration with Internews, the consultant will:
a) Devise a six-month remote mentoring plan for – and in collaboration with – the partners, containing objectives and actions related to their vision and output (content and format)
b) Contribute to the development of overarching campaigning strategies to deliver impact
c) Support the partner organisation in developing advocacy materials i.e. media output
d) Support the partner organisation in the setting of research priority, collection of data, research and analysis, presenting and disseminating finding
e) Regularly communicate with the partner organisation / through email/ instant chat and organized online consultation sessions (e.g. via Skype) with the purpose of: providing feedback and recommendations as per up-to-date content reviews, respond to their queries, monitoring progress and help them achieve professional standards and impact.
f) Provide monthly reports to Internews on progress
g) Manage availability, communication channels, workload and timings according to contracted working days and schedule with Internews.
3 days a month remote mentoring during a period of 6 months with possibility of extension. Plus one face to Face workshop (days to be confirmed).
Qualification and experience required
· University degree (Bachelors or equivalent), preferably in communications, journalism, public relations or other related field.
· Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in campaigning/journalism
· Campaigning experience, with ability to demonstrate experience of developing and implementing advocacy campaigns
· Demonstrated experience in training/mentoring journalists and Human Rights activists
· Excellent communication and listening skills
· Self-motivated, innovative and resourceful
Please submit your CV, cover letter explaining how you will fulfil the assignment to email@example.com