Country WASH Coordinator
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: International/Ethiopia/Addis Ababa (significant travel to field locations)
JOB FAMILY: Programme
DURATION: 11 months
LEVEL: Global C2
To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering.
The Country WASH Coordinator will lead the coordinated delivery of water, sanitation and hygiene component of humanitarian response in Ethiopia. He/she will be the primarily responsible for the technical leadership of WASH support in operational areas and co-ordination with other agencies including WASH Cluster. The WASH Coordinator ensures the overall success of the Oxfam WASH interventions to ensure the WASH teams complete the defined activities while adhering to standards and contractual obligations.
Post holder reports to: Drought Response Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Roving senior PHE officer, Roving senior PHP officer, WASH specialist; Matrix management of Somali region WASH coordinator
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: TBC
Oxfam has been working in Ethiopia since 1974, devoted to empowering people against poverty. In 2015-16, the organisation consolidated its efforts to meet the needs of the most vulnerable and has reached close to one million people across Ethiopia with life-saving humanitarian assistance. Oxfam’s Humanitarian programme currently operates through 3 field bases in Jijiga, Dire Dawa and Gambella and getting prepared to open three new satellite offices in remote field locations as part of its ongoing drought response. The development team currently operates in Oromia, Amhara, Tigray and Somali region.
The current humanitarian programme primarily includes two CAT 2 responses as follows: (i) 14 Million GBP drought response with a target of benefitting 700,000 people (Programme Focus WASH and EFSVL with gender and cross protection as cross cutting) in Somali, Oromia and Afar region both direct and through partners; (ii) 8 Million GBP response to South Sudan Refugee Crisis in Gambella with a target of benefitting 70,000 people (Programme Focus WASH and EFSVL with gender and cross protection as cross cutting). Oxfam is currently in process of winding up its AWD response in both Addis Ababa and Somali region. In addition, Oxfam has multiple emergency preparedness programme focusing on self and partners’ capacity building.
· Under the strategic guidance of Drought Response Manager, undertake overall coordination of the WASH component of humanitarian Response in line with response strategy;
· Provide professional and technical leadership to the WASH team (including partners) including elements of Public Health Engineering and Public Health Promotion for programme planning and implementation;
· Ensure that WASH project activities are planned and implemented on time in line with contractual obligations and accountable approaches with communities;
· Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware is undertaken according to technical standards (SPHERE, Oxfam WASH Minimum standards);
· Work closely with Somali region WASH Coordinator and Oxfam’s partners both at Addis level and in Oromia and Afar region to facilitate and coordinate effective delivery of WASH component of drought response; This will include significant travel to field locations to provide support and undertake M&E;
· Represent Oxfam in different WASH related coordination platforms at national level (e.g. WASH cluster) and actively contribute and influence; ensure timely delivery of external reporting requirement at national level (e.g. 4W);
· Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender and protection issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work;
· Undertake regular capacity need assessment of WASH team including partners and provide capacity development support;
· Collaboration and support MEAL team to ensure improved programme quality and accountability;
· Collaboration and support logistics team at country office for the timely procurement of WASH supplies and services;
· Contribute in donor reports and funding proposals;
· Line manage staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, strategic guidance and management support;
· Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
· At least 5 years of solid practical experience as a PHE specialist and 2-3 years as a WASH Coordinator / Manager in humanitarian / development programme;
· Relevant qualification (preferably post graduation) in public health engineering or a related discipline (civil / hydraulic / environment engineering), with an excellent technical understanding and demonstrated experience on WASH;
· Excellent technical skills and practical experience of preparing technical drawing, designs, BoQs and estimates of water and sanitation infrastructure;
· Demonstrated experience of coordinating / managing WASH programme with large budget and teams (multiple locations) preferably in Horn of Africa and in Ethiopia;
· Excellent understanding and demonstrated experience of implementing integrated PHE and PHP strategies and interventions;
· Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and protection into emergency response programmes and longer-term strategies;
· Demonstrated experience of working with UN clusters, government authorities and implementing I/.NGO partners;
· Skills and experience of using AUTO-CAD, WATER-GEMS and other relevant software;
· A proven record of mentoring and capacity building of teams and partners in complex contexts;
· Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
· Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills;
· Excellent communication and cross-cultural management skills;
· Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam;
· Commitment to humanitarian principles and action;
· Excellent command on English language;
· Competent candidate having command over local language (Amharic / Somali) will be preferred;
· Competent candidate having existing legal right to work in Ethiopia will be preferred.
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter and CV through www.ethiojobs.net before OR on March 30 , 2017.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note that this is an urgent recruitment and we will be short listing applications as we receive them and may fill the position before the closing date, if there is potential candidate"