Malteser International is the worldwide humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta, with a mandate to provide relief and recovery in conflicts and disasters. We are responsible for over 100 projects in 23 countries around the world, and have over sixty years of experience of providing high-quality international aid.
In support of our team at headquarters in Cologne, Germany, Malteser International is looking for a Communications Officer from March 1st 2017.
As an integral part of our international communications team, you will be responsible for ensuring the consistent quality all of our English-language communications and public relations activities outside of the Americas, as well as supporting our headquarters staff in a wide range of communications-related activities. The position would be ideal for a young professional with first experience of work in the fields of public relations, journalism, humanitarian aid, communications, or translation.
We offer candidates the chance to take on an interesting and varied range of responsibilities in an international, highly motivated, and professional environment, which places a premium on independent work, creativity, and flexibility. If needed, members of the communications team should be prepared to exercise their skills on the ground at our project locations during short overseas deployments for communications and public relations purposes.
- Online: you will translate, research, and write English articles and posts for our websites and social media channels, and ensure that content is up to date and optimized for search engines.
- Publications: you will create and edit features and interviews for our newsletter, annual report, and other publications, and revise English publications to be produced in project locations,
- Press: you will translate, write, and research English press releases, and assist with press monitoring.
- Events management/campaigns: you will support the communications team in the preparation and organization of events and campaigns.
- Back office: you will help maintain the extensive image database and distribution lists, and handle customer inquiries.
- Internal communications: you will support the staff at Malteser International HQ by editing, translating, and advising on English-language communications.
Desired skills and experience:
- Relevant university degree – e.g. in English, Media, Communications, etc., and/or relevant work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English (native speaker would be an asset),
- Good knowledge of German (minimum requirement level B2 Common European Framework of Reference of Languages: Global Scale of the Goethe Institute; please see www.goethe.de)).
- Proficiency in MS Office, Digital Content Management, digital image processing, and social media.
- Citizenship of the European Union, or permission to reside and work in Germany.
- Knowledge of other languages, such as French and Spanish, experience in foreign countries, internships in international organizations, and previous experience in relief, development, public relations, or a related field would be advantageous.
- Full identification with Malteser International’s values as a Catholic organization.
- Starting date: preferably by March 01st, 2017
- Intended duty stations: Cologne, Germany, if needed with frequent travels to the program locations and other areas of Germany
- Duration of contract: 12 months (extendable)