Head of Office
Position Title : Head of Office
Duty Station : Bissau, Guinea-Bissau
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 January 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the supervision of the Regional Director (RD) in Regional Office (RO) West and Central Africa and in close coordination with the relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the monitoring and coordination of IOM on-going activities in Guinea Bissau.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Control and manage administrative and budgetary matters and the financial resources of activities in Guinea Bissau. Monitor the situation of resources as compared to planned and budgeted activities and recommend remedial action if necessary. Draft project revisions and project budget adjustments on the basis of changed work plans. Supervise subordinate staff in the office.
Direct and monitor the implementation of IOM’s programmes in Guinea Bissau. Supervise the related budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the Mission in accordance with the Organization's regulations and procedures.
Maintain contact with government authorities, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, voluntary agencies, airlines and other relevant partners in order to expedite implementation, meet targets and advance IOM activities.
In collaboration with relevant authorities, identify, propose and participate in the development of new projects. Draft sections of project documents and proposals. Contribute to fund raising efforts following established and corresponding strategies and plans.
Implement and coordinate the implementation of projects as well as other operational activities in cooperation with national and international authorities.
Monitor project implementation, identify problems and propose corrective action to expedite delivery. Inform project participants about logistical arrangements and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting in terms of the immediate objectives of specific projects.
Prepare regular progress and status reports and updates, briefings and background information requested by the Regional Office and HQs, the Government and other entities. Draft comments on aspects of project progress as an input to programme monitoring.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management in the field of migration;
• Experience in liaising with Government authorities, other national/international institutions;
• Operational and field experience in migration management in the West Africa region is of particular interest as is an understanding of the complex social-political environment of the West Africa region;
• Sound knowledge of migration management principles, concepts and techniques;
• Demonstrated expertise in post-conflict /emergency operations;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities, as well as, with national and international institutions;
• Previous experience working with IOM and with UN specialized agencies an advantage.
Fluency in English, French and Portuguese is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 January 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.01.2017 to 23.01.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/11 (P) - Head of Office (P2) - Bissau, Guinea Bissau (54935120) Released Posting: Posting NC54935135 (54935135) Released