Program Manager- Health and Nutrition - Aden, Yemen
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The Health and Nutrition Programme Manager will take on the role of setting up and managing emergency health and nutrition programmes for conflict-affected populations in. International Medical Corps supports primary health care delivery through a number of government health facilities and mobile teams, integrating into them Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition, in addition to a community health component. In addition, IMC’s health programs involved support to selected secondary health care facilities and stabilization centers.
For Aden: The Health and Nutrition Programme Manager will be based in Aden covering programmes in Aden and Lahj.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation
• Set up the International Medical Corps Health and Nutrition Programme
• Within a broad framework, design and implement the Health and Nutrition programme
• Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate programme staff (around 20) o Provide training and support to government Health Facility workers to enable them to provide essential health and nutritional services
• Monitors the programme through both effective data collection / analysis, field trips and SQUEAC survey (with support if required from Nutrition Coordinator)
• In collaboration with the Logistics department, ensure timely resupply through effective monitoring of pharmaceutical and nutritional supply use. o Integrates Health, Nutrition and Hygiene education across entire programme
• Work with WASH expert to ensure appropriate sanitation, hygiene and water at Health facilities.
With the team, identifies funding opportunities and contributes to the design of new programme concepts with the support of the International Medical Corps programme development team
• Facilitates and assures accurate and well-documented reporting of the programme internally within International Medical Corps, and to donors
• Assures that such reporting contributes to the effective management of the program and meets donor quality standards and compliance regulations
• Assures that a brief programme update will be sent to the Country Management team on a weekly basis Security:
• Complies with International Medical Corps standard security protocols
• Draw on the experience and knowledge of the Country Security Manager to ensure the safe implementation of the programme and the security of the staff / beneficiaries
• Takes personal responsibility for own safety and security; reports all incidents Collaboration,
Representation and Outreach:
• Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with the Ministry of Health, donor bodies, UN agencies, other NGOs and local authorities
• Ensure effective coordination of all programs operating out of Aden – Lahj/Ibb office, ensuring communication and integration as appropriate
• Ensure effective representation and coordination with relevant government authorities,
NGO partners and donors Team work:
• Works as part of a multi-disciplinary team – draws on support and skill of other team members to most effectively manage programme.
• Feeds into country office strategy.
• Provides support and guidance to other team members
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
“Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.”
“To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.”
Degree in medicine, nursing, nutrition or a health related field. A graduate degree in public health is preferred.
At least 3 years of international experience in unstable and potentially insecure environments running / managing Health and / or Nutrition programmes
Excellent communication, organizational skills and ability to work in a team.
Computer skills, including word processing, spread sheet and other software packages/ systems is required.
Excellent written and spoken English (some Arabic language understanding/ speaking will be an asset).
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.”