Finance Officer, Brussels
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is a worldwide network of judges and lawyers united in affirming international law and rule of law principles that advance human rights.
The ICJ office in Brussels (ICJ-European Institutions) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and flexible professional to provide financial management in support to all projects implemented through its office. The finance officer will play a key role in ensuring compliance with ICJ’s financial procedures and reporting standards. The ideal candidate holds a degree in Business Administration, Accounting or a similar field and has worked for at least five years in accounting, financial management or business administration in Belgium, preferably in an international context.
• Develop and review annual operational budgets for the Brussels office;
• Prepare and review staff coverage calculations of the Brussels office employees and Europe regional programme staff;
• Draft budgets for project proposals and project realignments;
• Ensure compliance with internal, Belgian and donors’ financial, accounting and financial reporting requirements;
• Validate purchase requests for the referenced projects and ensure the budget follow up by monitoring project expenses;
• Validate submitted invoices, money transfer, cash advances;
• Make necessary payments, including to consultants, service providers and Belgian authorities;
• Ensure accuracy and conformity of accounting documents and accounting entries;
• Consolidate and analyse project expenses to ensure accuracy and consistency;
• Develop and prepare financial reports for internal and external use;
• Organise the external review of Brussels office yearly accounts with the designated accounting firm;
• Coordinate office and project financial audits;
• Carry out, in collaboration with ICJ finance staff in the Head Office and regional offices, other relevant tasks as needed.
The successful candidate will have:
Education & Experience
• Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Financial Management or similar field;
• At least five years of relevant financial management experience in Belgium. Experience in an ASBL or AISBL, and/or in an international context an asset;
• Good knowledge of the financial rules, regulations and legislation in Belgium.
• Strong organizational, planning, time-management, and analytical skills;
• Attention to detail and accuracy;
• Good team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Spoken and written Fluency in French and English;
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft office, particularly Excel. Knowledge of accounting software (such as SAGE) a strong asset;
• Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to changing priorities and needs;
• Commitment to human rights and the rule of law;
• Holding a EU Member State citizenship or a valid work permit in Belgium.
The ICJ is an equal opportunities employer.
The position is based in Brussels (central location). No relocation package is foreseen.
APPLICATIONS should be addressed by 30 January 2017 with your resume (maximum two pages), a cover letter (maximum two pages) and the names of at least two references to:
Ref: Brussels Finance Officer
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We cannot answer phone enquiries. We thank you for your understanding.