HQ Humanitarian Programme Manager
Position Title: HQ Humanitarian Programme Manager
Location / department: Brussels Office, with frequent travels to other Mission East office locations, as required.
Length of contract: This is a permanent contract.
Responsible to: Operations Director
Has reporting from: Country Director
Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international humanitarian and development organisation undertaking disaster relief and development programmes in Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Mission East currently has humanitarian programmes in Iraq, Nepal and Afghanistan.
More information on Mission East can be found at: www.missioneast.org .
HQ Programme Managers provide strategic oversight to Mission East programmes. This includes:
- Line management & support to Country Directors.
- Program monitoring, ensuring compliance to quality standards & good practice.
- Securing programme funding.
- Demonstrating and promoting adherence to organisational mission and values.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Strategic input into programme design
- Coordinate & participate in proposal writing
- Proposal quality control
- Update project pipelines and monitor calls for proposals
Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Monitor programme implementation, including CHS, Sphere & donor compliance.
- Ensure timeliness and quality of internal and external reporting.
- Ensure timely & appropriate communication to donors
- Supervise internal and external evaluation, and follow up on learnings.
- Field monitoring visits as required.
- Maintain strong relationships with key donors.
- Develop relationship with potential new donors.
Budget review, Financial Monitoring & Procurement
Work with finance to ensure coherence between proposal activities and budgets
Review and follow up monthly finance reports with Finance and Country Director.
Assist Country Director in decisions on use of budgets in liaison with Finance
Review finance reports against narrative to ensure coherence
Authorise procurement at the relevant level, and monitor field team compliance.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Input to the country strategy; ensuring linkage with organisational strategy
- Provide Humanitarian assistance expertise to Mission East operations team.
- Input to organisational and operations team strategy
- Contribute to the outworking of operations team strategy as appropriate
Personnel Support to field teams
- Line management of Country Directors
- Participate in recruitment of expatriate personnel for field operations.
- Induction of new expatriate staff.
- Personnel support to field teams
Security and Safety
- Monitor security context in country and monitor adherence to security plan.
- Participate in head office security management structures.
- Support HSE policy compliance and good practice in risk management
Organisational Development & Knowledge Management
- Maintain project database and filing of programme information
- Disseminate lessons learned and best practice across the organisation
- Contribute to development and application of Mission East tools
External Representation & Communication
- Representation to external bodies (NGO networks, coordination bodies etc)
- Contribute to external communications via articles for website or magazine.
You hold a degree level or higher related to international development, humanitarian assistance and/or have significant experience in operational management of relief and rehabilitation programmes.
• You have a minimum 3 years of experience of humanitarian field management working in fragile states emergency or recovery context.
• You have significant humanitarian programme design experience.
• You have experience in applying the CHS/HAP & Sphere standards.
• You have experience working in an NGO head office or regional office.
• You have previous experience preparing proposals, training staff, and monitoring/evaluating projects, including large projects for institutional donors.
• You have experience in building relations and reporting to institutional donors.
• You are a proven leader, who can mobilize and develop a humanitarian team.
• You have strong written and spoken English at native or near-native level.
• You demonstrate understanding of humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles.
• You are able to work both independently, and as part of a team.
• You establish clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitor progress and performance.
• You are a problem solver with the ability to perform under pressure
• You are a strategic and analytical thinker, able to delegate and keep focused on high level issues.
• You are in agreement with Mission East’s Organisational Values.
• You enjoy working in a dynamic team driven by passion to deliver quality assistance to vulnerable populations.
To apply for this post, please visit www.miseast.org/vacancies , where you will be able to complete an application form.
Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Final closing date for this position is 25/01/2017