Archives Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) (m/f)
Within the framework of the MSF OCB Knowledge Management project and following needs assessment survey among field staff (October 2016), OCB is opening the position of MIO Archives. S/he contributes to the management (production, filing, searching for, sharing, protection and preservation) of both paper and electronic records produced by all departments of MSF Operational Center of Brussels, with a particular focus on the field. Together with the Documentalist in Brussels, s/he acts as a subject matter expert, proactively sharing their knowledge through mentoring, training and production of reference documents. S/he leads the Community of Practice of Field Archivists (some missions have full time positions, others part time, others none).
Her/His status of Mobile Implementation Officer implies a high level field mobility and flexibility.
Hierarchical responsible: HQ Documentalist Medical Department, with functional collaboration across all departments
Support the document life cycle (production, filing, searching for, sharing, protection and preservation) both paper and electronic records
- Advise on document production formatting, naming and filing
- Support the Documentalist in answering punctual records retrieving requests for documents housed in Brussels archives
- Support audits and evaluation processes (e.g. ECHO audit)
- Support Ad Hoc requests for filing exceptional projects/initiatives (e.g. Ebola task force)
- Support the Bookshop Manager in updating the ‘field operational library’ (‘Bibop’) in each field project.
- Offer analysis and advice on access rights and the respect of confidentiality.
- Support the facilities and ICT units regarding the implementation of optimal conditions of preservation of both paper and electronic records at both field and HQ level.
- Advise on compliance with relevant legislation and regulations
Lead the review and implementation of OCB archiving policies
- Review and implement archiving guidelines in field missions and headquarters.
- Review and implement retention schedule annex (duration to keep documents)
- Create and implement a long-term preservation policy.
- Create and implement reference documents such as: good practices, communication material, training material, etc.
- Conceive, develop, pilot and deploy a ‘Field Archive Opening and Closure Kit’
Support field project/mission’s closures (approx. 2/3 per year)
- Support field staff in the repatriation of paper archives from field to headquarters.
- Support on-site the destruction of papers archives according to the retention schedule.
- Receive, centralize, organize and store paper and electronic archives in Brussels with support of Facilities and ICT units
Re-launch, animate and moderate the Community of Practice of OCB Field Archivists
- Act as a technical referent, supporting field archives’ referents in their document management practices and centralizing archiving issues and initiatives.
- Train and mentor archives’ referents on field missions striving for maximum autonomy within a given framework
Subject Matter Expert
- Pro-actively play a focal point position around archives and document management issues and initiatives at Field and HQ level.
- Provide her/his expertise to decision makers and key stakeholders, including various working groups such as the Knowledge Information Team.
- Advise on complex legal and regulatory issues often including data sharing and document confidentiality.
- Promote awareness on document protection and good practices.
- Support a cultural change towards archives and records management awareness in close collaboration with the Knowledge & Change Manager.
- Support headquarters’ projects involving archives and records management.
- Academic degree in Archives and Records Management or Information and Communication Sciences & Technologies.
- Proven experiences in archives and records management.
- Proven knowledge in archives and records management including: archiving tools, conservation policies, data protection policies, digitization, database management, information retrieval, etc.
- Field experience with MSF and/or other INGO is an asset
- Proven experience in remote community management including written and oral communications skills are an asset
- Organized and methodical. Project and Change management experience is an asset
- Proven pedagogical skills are an asset
- Knowing how to work as a team but also autonomously.
- Willingness to work in field conditions
- Bilingual French and English
Field Contract fixed term 1 year – Full time position - based in Brussels but with frequent field visits (70%)
Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale
Starting : immediate
CV + cover letter to be sent before 23/01/2017 to MSF, Caroline Maes, Rue de L’Arbre Bénit 46 – 1050 Ixelles or to email@example.com, stating ARCHIVES MIO position in the title