Asia Potato Program Leader
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic scientist to lead its Strategic Program Agile Potato in Asia. The incumbent will lead a scientific team working with CIP staff and partners to plan, manage and build CIP’s potato R&D activities in Asia.
The position: This position will report to the Deputy Director General of Research and Development and the preferred location is CIP’s office in Hanoi, Vietnam; with frequent international travel in other target countries in Asia, including central Asia and the Caucasus. The purpose of the position is to lead and coordinate CIP’s potato R&D strategies for the region, together with scientists in all related disciplines within CIP and with key partners. The Leader’s role is to expand the R&D Program in alignment with the priorities established in CIP’s strategic plan, ensure the high quality of Program deliverables and apply results-based management to ensure proper implementation of the Program business plan. The Leader will supervise reporting and contribute to talent management of his team in coordination with CIP’s research managers. The Leader will also represent the Program in scientific and public forums as required and will also be accountable for compliance according to the delegation of authority assigned to the position.
Duties and responsibilities:
Strategic and applied research
- Provide scientific leadership for scientists in the program, ensuring that R&D activities are founded in science-based evidence.
- Provide science vision and long-term strategy for the program, setting priorities for future program plans in collaboration with other science leaders towards the achievement of CIP’s strategic objectives, mission and vision.
- Help assure that scientific excellence is shared through the use of up-to-date, knowledge and information exchange, team building and strengthening communities of practice.
Program development and management
- In the short term, focus on growth of the program's staff and projects.
- As a member of the Science Leadership Team, contribute to develop CIP’s Strategic Programs and particularly the business plan of the program.
- Ensure proper management of projects and financial resources related to the program.
- Promote the formation of multidisciplinary teams to support the delivery of products that respond to demands of stakeholders.
· Participate in developing competitive grants and attracting external funding from a range of public and private donors to build the potato program in Asia.
Attract researchers, interns, and visiting scholars to the program, providing opportunities for students and researchers to get exposure and expand linkages between national and international agricultural research institutions.
Establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with relevant crop science institutions.
· PhD in a field related to agriculture and at least 5 years’ experience with recognized achievements in agricultural research; experience in potato-related research and development will be a plus.
· Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team.
· Demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and partnerships in a low-income economy context. Experience in Asian context would be valued.
· Demonstrated experience in attracting research funding.
· Strong publication record.
· Strong written and oral communication skills in English; Spanish, French or other languages are assets.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on January 16, 2017 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.