Typhoon Vincent made landfall as a category 4 storm in the Quangdong province in southern China on 24 Jul 2012, killing three people, toppling 300 houses and damaging 13,600 hectares of crops (Xinhua, 24 Jul 2012). In neighboring Guangxi, 400,000 people were affected (Xinhua, 26 Jul 2012). The typhoon weakened quickly into a tropical depression and then into a low pressure zone, causing heavy rainfall in northern Viet Nam, where nine people were killed, mainly due to landslides and drowning (UN Country Team, 27 Jul 2012).
Source:China Meteorological News Press
Recently many departments included Ministry of Civil Affair and General Office of National Committee for Disaster Reduction organized meetings to analyze the conditions of natural disasters of China in 2012.
Since the beginning of this year, natural disasters have killed 121 people and injured 225 others and caused property damages of VND1,741 billion.
In a recent telegram, the National Steering Committee for Flood and Storm Prevention and Control asked all municipal and provincial People’s Committees to brace themselves for more natural calamities in the coming time.
To minimize human and property losses, they should take preventive measures against flash floods, storms and landslides, especially in mountainous and remote areas.
CHANGSHA, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Pests are posing an increasing challenge for the country's major rice-producing areas amid an important harvest year, according to agricultural officials.
The Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) held a meeting on pest control with officials from the provinces of Hunan, Zhejiang, Fujian, Jiangxi, Guangdong and Sichuan, as well as Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, on Monday in Changsha, capital of Hunan.
At 5:15 today, the 14th typhoon Tembin located at Mudan Township, Pingtung County of Taiwan Province. The number of typhoons landing in China in August has exceeded historical extremes so far. Qian Chuanhai, Director of the typhoon and ocean forecast center of CMA, said since the flood season this year, the number of typhoons landing in China is more than normal years. The landing phase is more concentrated and has affected a wider range of areas. Compared to the same period in history, it breaks a number of records.
Public Affairs Section
United States Embassy, Beijing
Tel: 8531-3000 Fax: 8531-4040
Beijing — Since January, severe flooding caused by torrential rainfall and a series of typhoons has affected more than 205 million people in all but a few of China’s provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions.
BEIJING, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Natural disasters, mainly floods and hailstorms, left 402 people dead and 91 missing in July, according to a statement released by the Ministry of Civil Affairs (MCA) on Thursday.
The ministry said more than 61.8 million people were affected by natural disasters in the month, with 4.64 million people relocated. A total of 244,000 houses collapsed and 871,000 were damaged.
BEIJING, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- The ministries of finance and civil affairs allocated 1.05 billion yuan (165.62 million U.S. dollars) on Friday to help people affected by recent heavy rains, floods and typhoons that have hit multiple regions across China.
The funds, directed to eight provincial-level administrative regions, namely Shanxi, Hubei, Guangdong, Guangxi, Sichuan, Guizhou, Shaanxi and Chongqing, will be used to relocate affected people, reconstruct houses and take care of basic necessities, said a statement released by the ministries.
The Organization Department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee has allocated 10 million yuan (1.59 million U.S. dollars), taken from paid membership dues, to fund disaster relief work in nine regions hit hard by recent torrential rains and floods.
The money has been sent to Inner Mongolia and the provinces of Hebei, Jiangxi, Shandong, Hubei, Hunan and Guizhou, as well as the cities of Chongqing and Beijing, to help locals combat flooding and take care of basic necessities, according to a Thursday statement from the department.
BEIJING, August 1 (Xinhuanet) --Currently, China is experiencing the main flood season and is facing severe challenges of flood control and typhoon prevention.
On August 1, CMA issued a notice which demanded to strengthen the transmission, application and popularization of FengYun-2 F satellite's intensive observational data, fully play the role of meteorological satellite so as to provide services for this flood season and other great events.
Although the storm has dissipated totally mid last week, heavy to very heavy rainfall keeps affecting the Northern provinces, especially the North-Eastern mountainous provinces.
Water levels are receding slowly in upstream areas, but increasing quickly in downstream Red river and Thai Binh river. They will continue to do so over the next 24h.
So far, 10 people died, 1 person is still missing and 3 people were injured. The most recent casualty is a 53 year old women that died due to a landslide in Lai Chau province.
27 July 2012 - Three people died and six are missing after Typhoon Vicente made landfall over the city of Taishan, affecting more than 700,000 people in Guizhou and Guangxi provinces. In Viet Nam, the typhoon caused landslides in four provinces and killed nine people.
BEIJING, July 27 (Xinhua) -- China's fiscal authorities have set aside 1.2 billion yuan (189.57 million U.S. dollars) in emergency flood relief funding since Sunday after heavy rains that hit north China, the Ministry of Finance said Friday.
Half of the funds will go to the cities of Beijing and Tianjin and Hebei province, which are still dealing with the aftermath of heavy rains that have struck the regions since last Saturday, the ministry said.
Heavy rainfall due to Tropical Storm Vicente (No.4) has caused landslides in Cao Bang, Lao Cai, Tuyen Quang and Ha Giang provinces.
To date, based on damage data Tuyen Quang is the worst affected province.
So far 9 people have been killed, out of whom 2 children, mainly due to landslides and drowning.
11 classrooms and 318 houses have been damaged, the majority in Tuyen Quang province.
River water levels are decreasing in upstream areas, but rising quickly in downstream areas.
NANNING, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Vicente triggered rainstorms and had affected more than 400,000 people in south China's Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, local authorities said Thursday.
Vicente, this year's eighth typhoon, made landfall near the city of Taishan in neighboring province of Guangdong early Tuesday, bringing gales and rainstorms to some southern provinces.
Torrential rains battered 34 counties in 11 cities in Guangxi, including the cities of Nanning, Liuzhou, Yulin, Wuzhou and Beihai, according to the region's civil affairs department.
After making landfall on the 24th July in South-China, the very strong typhoon Vicente (No.4) weakened quickly into a tropical depression and then into a low pressure zone.
It has caused medium to heavy rain in most of the Northern mountainous and Red River Delta provinces in Vietnam
The rainfall can potentially cause landslides, flash floods and river flooding.
No damage has been reported so far.
GUANGZHOU/BEIJING, July 24 (Xinhua) -- Three people were killed and six went missing in disasters caused by Typhoon Vicente which made landfall early Tuesday morning over the city of Taishan in south China's Guangdong province.
As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, nearly half million people in nine coastal cities were affected, including 75,000 people who were evacuated and were in urgent need of assistance, according to the Ministry of Civil Affairs.
English.news.cn 2012-07-24 22:51:05
BEIJING, July 24 (Xinhua) -- Heavy rains are forecast to sweep north China in the next three days, with rainstorms expected in some regions, weather authorities said Tuesday.
Moderate to heavy rains are expected to hit the central and northern parts of north and northeast China from Wednesday to Friday, according to the National Meteorological Center (NMC).
Meanwhile, parts of Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Shanxi, Heilongjiang and Jilin will see torrential rains, the NMC said.
As Typhoon Vicente is moving away from Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Observatory replaced the No 8 Southeast Gale or Storm Signal, issued at 3.35am, by the No. 3 Strong Wind Signal at 10.10am today (July 24).
Service of public transport has gradually resumed normal.
According to the Hospital Authority, as at 9.30am, a total of 129 people, including 56 males and 73 females, aged between 4 and 86, have sought medical treatment at the Accident and Emergency Departments at public hospitals. Seventy-two of them were admitted.