Grave concerns persist for some 20 million people in the Sahel. Recurrent conflict, erratic weather patterns, epidemics and other shocks continue to weaken the resilience of households across a region still suffering chronic levels of food insecurity and malnutrition.
An estimated 20.4 million people remain food insecure at the start of 2015. At least 2.6 million people have already crossed the crisis threshold, 70 percent of whom are in Niger, Nigeria, Mali and Chad where insecurity and poverty compound food insecurity.
Epidemics continue to demand urgent attention in 2015. Besides cholera, meningitis, Lassa and yellow fever, more recently, Ebola has been posing a serious threat to the Sahel region and has already impacted Mali, Nigeria, and Mali directly.
Beyond the chronic threats of food insecurity, malnutrition and epidemics, violent conflict in and around the Sahel region has led to a surge in population displacement. The region begins 2015 with some 2.8 million people displaced; over a million more than in early 2014. With escalating conflict in northeast Nigeria, an estimated one million people have been internally displaced. Some 150,000 Nigerian refugees have fled to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon. The volatile security situation in northern Mali continues to have a devastating impact on civilians, hampering the return of refugees, affecting markets and preventing the full restoration of basic services. Some 133,000 Malian refugees remain in Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso and more than 80,000 Malians remain internally displaced. As in Nigeria, high levels of insecurity in northern Mali also greatly impact the ability of humanitarians to access those in need. (Sahel: A call for humanitarian aid, 12 Feb 2015)
Appeals & Funding
- Sahel Strategic Response Plan (SRP) 2015 EN/FR
- Humanitarian Needs Overview EN/FR
- 2014-2016 Strategic Response Plans: Sahel Region EN/FR; Burkina Faso; Cameroon; Chad; Gambia; Mali; Mauritania; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
• 2 milliards de dollars requis pour l’action humanitaire au Sahel en 2015.
• Plus de 190 000 réfugiés et rapatriés du nord du Nigéria au Cameroun, Tchad et Niger.
• 1,2 millions de déplacés internes dans le nord du Nigéria.
• Les communautés au Nigéria font face à une insécurité alimentaire et à la malnutrition.
•Zéro nouveau cas d'Ebola au Libéria, stagnation des chiffres en Sierra Leone et en Guinée.
Lagos, Nigeria | | Friday 3/27/2015 - 14:10 GMT
by Ola AWONIYI
Nigeria's military on Friday announced that troops had retaken the town of Gwoza from Boko Haram, from which the group declared their caliphate last year.
Defence spokesman Chris Olukolade told a news conference in the capital, Abuja, that the recapture came after "concerted and well-coordinated land and air operations".
"A lot of arms and ammunition have been recovered and the administrative headquarters (of Boko Haram) completely destroyed," he said.
A refugee camp in Chad has provided temporary sanctuary for thousands of fleeing Nigerians.
“I saw Boko Haram with my own eyes and I saw the bodies. If I think about the corpses, I will cry.”
These are the words of 12-year-old Tahiru Abakhar whose family was attacked by Boko Haram in Baga and again hounded by the Islamist group in other towns until they fled to neighbouring Chad.
Situation of displaced people in North-East in numbers
TOTAL NUMBER OF INTERNALLY DISPLACED PEOPLE LIVING IN CAMPS (SOURCE: IOM, FEBRUARY 2015)
TOTAL NUMBER OF INTERNALLY DISPLACED PEOPLE LIVING IN HOST COMMUNITIES (SOURCE: IOM, FEBRUARY 2015)
NUMBER OF IDP CAMPS IN NORTH-EAST (SOURCE: IOM, FEBRUARY 2015)
Bama, Nigeria | | Thursday 3/26/2015 - 18:20 GMT
by Nichole SOBECKI
The devastation is visible from the air in Bama. Corrugated iron roofs lie ripped off among charred debris, the walls of the houses blackened with soot or in ruins.
On the dusty roads that separate properties in the second-biggest town in Borno state, northeast Nigeria, the sight -- and smell -- is much worse, with evidence of atrocities everywhere.
Millions of Nigerians live in states where Boko Haram’s repeated attacks, Government counter-insurgency operations and inter-communal violence have led to an alarming amount of displacement. In the run-up to the elections, there are concerns that over 1.2 million displaced people will be unable to vote. During such a crucial time for the country, IDMC explains why IDPs should not be side-lined and must gain access to voting stations.
Urgent Need for Aid, Protection for Fleeing Civilians
(Abuja, March 26, 2015) – Attacks by the Islamist armed group Boko Haram killed more than 1,000 civilians in 2015, based on witness accounts and an analysis of media reports, Human Rights Watch said today. Boko Haram fighters have deliberately attacked villages and committed mass killings and abductions as their attacks have spread from northeast Nigeria into Cameroon, Chad, and Niger since February.
Plus d’un million de Nigérians ont fui les attaques extrêmement violentes du groupe militant islamiste Boko Haram. Se dispersant toujours plus dans les pays avoisinants, ces familles délacées n’ont eu d’autre appui que l’aide de l’Église catholique et celle d’autres groupes humanitaires pour leurs besoins essentiels tels que l’abri, la nourriture et les médicaments. Les 26 et 27 mars, des représentants Caritas de la région se réuniront à Rome afin de concevoir un plan d’action humanitaire pour les familles déplacées, les réfugiés et ceux qui retournent à leurs villages détruits.
Following the party primaries in late 2014, political jockeying has continued between and among parties. The postponement of the elections originally slated for February 14, due to insecurity in the Northeast, appears to have raised the level of uncertainty. In some states, gangs and cult groups have taken sides. In others, political rallies have escalated to violence. Even issues not directly election-related such as communal tensions and criminality have been affected. Logistical challenges around the distribution of Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) have further complicated matters.
United Nations, United States | | Wednesday 3/25/2015 - 17:33 GMT
Chad's UN envoy on Wednesday voiced frustration over Security Council inaction on endorsing a regional force fighting Boko Haram, arguing that the Nigerian extremists are "more dangerous" than Islamic State fighters.
Ambassador Mahamat Cherif told reporters that a draft resolution circulated last week to the 15-member council had hit a wall over a key provision invoking chapter 7 of the UN charter.
RETOUR DE 500 DÉPLACÉS
Environ 500 personnes déplacées par les combats intercommunautaires qui ont éclaté le 9 mars dans la forêt Goin Débé dans le sud-ouest du pays ont commencé à rentrer chez elles avec l'aide de la communauté et de l'administration locale. Des violences interethniques sporadiques et des attaques par des groupes armés continuent de sévir dans la région ouest de la Côte d'Ivoire. Quelques 2 600 personnes sont toujours déplacées suite aux raids armés contre des villages près de la frontière libérienne survenus plus tôt cette année.
IDPS SLOWLY RETURNING HOME
Around 500 people displaced by inter-community fighting that erupted on 9 March in Goin Débé forest in the country’s southwest have started returning home with the help of the community and the local administration. Sporadic inter-ethnic violence and attacks by armed groups continue to plague Côte d'Ivoire’s western region. Some 2,600 people are still displaced following armed raids on villages near the Liberian border earlier this year.
More than a million Nigerians have fled fanatically violent attacks by the Islamic militant group Boko Haram. Spilling over into neighbouring countries, these displaced families have relied on Catholic Church and other aid groups for basic necessities like shelter, food and medicine. On 26 and 27 March, Caritas representatives from the region will meet in Rome to create a humanitarian action plan for displaced families, refugees, and those returning to their destroyed villages.
Lagos, Nigeria | | Wednesday 3/25/2015 - 20:19 GMT
by Phil HAZLEWOOD
Nigeria ramped up security nationwide on Wednesday before general elections this weekend, shutting land as well as sea borders and vowing to crack down hard on political unrest.
Security is at the fore ahead of the presidential and parliamentary vote, with military operations against Boko Haram forcing the postponement of the poll's initial February 14 date.
In this issue
■ Addis Insight
The PSC undertook its first joint mission to Mali, together with the European Union Political and Security Committee.
This mission highlighted the importance of joint action and set a precedent for similar field visits in the future.
■ On the Agenda
On 3 March the PSC reviewed and adopted the Concept of Operations of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) to combat Boko Haram. The decision to launch the MNJTF was taken at the PSC Summit on 29 January 2015.
SITE DE DAR ES SALAM, Tchad, le 16 mars (HCR) – Le jour pointait seulement à Baga au Nigéria, lorsque Zulaika, une jeune femme de 22 ans, enceinte de son deuxième enfant, a entendu des coups de feu. Elle a eu à peine le temps de saisir son enfant de deux ans et de courir se réfugier dans la brousse, avant que les combattants n'envahissent la ville, en massacrant ses habitants par centaines.