Economic and Social Council
2010 Substantive Session
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government (HKSARG) released $98.91 million from the Disaster Relief Fund to provide immediate relief to people in distress outside Hong Kong in the year ending March 31, 2010.
An earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale hit northwest China's Qinghai province 14 April 2010, with its epicentre calculated to be about 50km away from Gyegu town (previously translated as Jiegu township), the government headquarters of the Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yushu, and about 800km away from Xining, the Qinghai provincial capital.
This report covers the period from 1 January to 30 December 2009.
The Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) and the International Federation of Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), while continuing to work on the recovery operation in the earthquake area since 12 May 2008, have gradually shifted focus back to the National Society's other programmes, allowing for some integration of emergency and longer-term development work in the RCSC. In the earthquake-affected communities, support for reconstruction of homes was the main focus in 2009.
This report covers the period from 1 July to 31 December 2009.
The International Federation's support to the Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) has had many achievements in the past six months.
HPG COMMISSIONED REPORT
Berlin - In 2008, Johanniter mainly focused on providing medical care throughout 22 countries, and invested donations and subsidies in the amount of nine million Euros - half a million more than the previous year. Although, the share of donations has slightly decreased from 2007, subsidies from third-party donors, such as Germany's Foreign Office, have increased.
BEIJING, Aug 03, 2009 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- China's ministries of finance and civil affairs allocated another 412 million yuan (60.3 million U.S. dollars) to the quake-hit region of southwest China's Yunnan Province, the Ministry of Finance said in a statement on its website on Monday.
The amount was given in addition to the 38 million yuan offered on July 10 to help reconstruct houses damaged by the 6.0-magnitude earthquake that shook the province on July 9.
The earthquake killed one and injured 372. More than 18,000 houses collapsed and 75,000 were damaged.
The Government has accepted the advice of the Disaster Relief Fund Advisory Committee and approved four grants from the Disaster Relief Fund totalling $9.18 million to three relief agencies to undertake relief projects for earthquake victims in Yunnan and flood victims in four provinces on the Mainland.
Announcing the grants today (July 21), a government spokesman said that the committee hoped the four grants would help provide relief to the victims.
A total of 285,000 yuan quake relief materials and 50,000 yuan are provided by RCSC to quake-hit areas of southwest China's Yunnan Province.
Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) has allocated 100 tents, 2000 quilts, 250 boxes of environment disinfectants to Yunnan to support relief work.
More than 400,000 people needed relocation or evacuation after a 6.0-magnitude earthquake rocked Yunnan on last Thursday night.
BEIJING, July 11, 2009 (AFP) - China continued rescue efforts on Saturday after an earthquake hit the country's southwest, killing one person, injuring hundreds and directly affecting two million people, state media said.
A 5.7-magnitude quake struck Yao'an county, a mountainous area of remote Yunnan province, on Thursday evening at a shallow depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 miles).
The quake displaced 250,000 people in several counties in Yunnan, the official Xinhua news agency said Saturday, revising the figure from the 400,000 evacuations reported earlier.
SHANGHAI, July 11 (Reuters) - China on Saturday scaled back its initial estimates of the number of people displaced by a 6.0 magnitude earthquake in southwestern Yunnan province, saying 250,000 rather than 400,000 people had been left homeless.
"The miscalculation was due in part to the chaos in the aftermath of the quake," the official Xinhua news agency cited deputy provincial governor Cao Jianfang as saying.
The quake killed one person and injured about 300.
The quake struck on Thursday at 7:19 p.m.
BEIJING, July 10 (Reuters) - Hundreds of people were injured and thousands of homes damaged by a 6.0 magnitude earthquake in southwest China's Yunnan province on Thursday, Xinhua news agency said.
The government of Yao'an county estimated 30 severe injuries among more than 300 hurt, and put the number of collapsed homes at 10,000 in a hasty initial estimate.
The quake struck at 7:19 pm in Guantun township, in a mountainous area about 200 km (125 miles) northwest of the provincial capital Kunming.
Emergency officials in China have been evacuating more than 400,000 people from a mountainous area in Yunnan province hit by a moderate earthquake on Friday.
One person was killed, 300 injured and flattened more than 18,000 homes flattened in the earthquake.
Provincial authorities are sending food, tents, quilts and medical supplies to the area.
The shallow, 5.7-magnitude quake centred around a relatively-sparsely populated area about 100 kilometres from the city of Dali.
Eight aftershocks followed.
GLIDE n=B0 EQ-2009-000130-CHN
This bulletin is being issued for information only.
At 7.19 pm local time (11.19 am GMT) on 9 July, an earthquake which measured between 5.7 and 6.0 on the Richter scale, hit Yao'an county, Chuxiong Yi Autonomous Prefecture, a mountainous region of south-western China's Yunnan province. The earthquake killed at least one person, injured more than 300 and destroyed more than 18,000 houses.
BEIJING, July 10, 2009 (AFP) - More than 400,000 people were being evacuated Friday after an earthquake hit southwest China, killing one person, injuring hundreds and flattening more than 18,000 homes, officials said.
A government relief official in Yao'an county, a mountainous area of remote Yunnan province, told AFP one person had died and 328 had been injured.
The US Geological Survey said the 5.7-magnitude quake struck at 7:19 pm (1119 GMT) Thursday at a shallow depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 miles) in Yunnan province.
"I was harvesting tobacco leaves... when the …
BEIJING, July 9, 2009 (AFP) - A moderate earthquake Thursday in southwestern China injured more than 300 people, 30 of them seriously, and led to the collapse of thousands of homes, state media and seismologists said.
The epicentre of the 5.5 magnitude quake was in Guantun, about 200 kilometres (125 miles) from Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, said official news agency Xinhua, citing the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
Xinhua said more than 300 people were injured by the quake which destroyed over 10,000 homes and damaged around 30,000, citing local officials.
By Ramsey Rayyis, American Red Cross Regional Representative, China
"We've had to relocate twice," lamented Liu Yuzhu, standing on a new construction site with his baby girl in his arms. "But this time, we really hope we can finish construction and have our home by the end of September!"
Flanked by many neighbors, from the mountain village of Jing Hua, families had been forced to relocate almost the entire town due to hazards that remain, and nerve-wracking aftershocks that still occur.