- WHO: Yemen: Cholera outbreak response - 27 April to 18 May 2017
- Statement by the Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Mr. Jamie McGoldrick, on the Urgent need for Funding to Halt the Spread of Cholera [EN/AR], 24 May 2017
- WFP Yemen Situation Report #30, 1 May - 15 May 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2017 Interactive HNO site
- 2017 Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan (Jan 2017) Interactive HRP site
- FAO Yemen Emergency Livelihoods Response Plan: Support to agriculture-based livelihoods in Yemen, 2017
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017: Yemen
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund: 2016
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- UNHCR Yemen Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan data portal
- IDMC (Internally Displacement Monitoring Centre)
- Human Rights Watch World Report 2017: Yemen Country Chapter
- Yemen Spatial Food Security Monitoring Tool
- UN: Geneva Consultations on Yemen
- Food Security Cluster: Yemen
- Logistics Cluster: Yemen
In light of an intensifying cholera outbreak, Commissioner Stylianides expresses EU support for the people of Yemen.
"As Yemen is facing a fast spreading cholera outbreak of unprecedented scale the EU is increasing its response with further funding to help those in need.
DJIBOUTI – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed continued support from the European Commission to provide assistance to refugees and asylum seekers in Djibouti.
'The cholera outbreak in Yemen comes on top of an armed conflict and famine that are affecting a large proportion of the population. Norway is therefore increasing its humanitarian support to Yemen by NOK 10 million, and will continue to follow the situation closely,' said Minister of Foreign Affairs Børge Brende.
March, 2017 ― Doha: Qatar Red Crescent's (QRCS) mission in Yemen has commenced the operation of the Al-Thawrah Health Complex in Al-Thawrah District, Amanat Al-Asemah, in cooperation with Yemen's Ministry of Public Health & Population (MOPHP).
The six-month project will cost $126,200 (nearly QR 460,000), funded by Qatar Fund for Development (QFFD).
With this support, the complex would continue to serve the internally displaced people (IDPs) from various governorates to Sanaa.
The project involves:
Ongoing emergency projects to be expanded with US$283 million in additional grants
79.8 M required for 2017
19.1 M contributions received, representing 24% of requirements
60.7 M funding gap for the Yemen Situation
All figures are shown in USD
This is the first consolidated presentation of the reported results of CERF funding, covering a full year of CERF allocations. As such, it serves as a pilot and will inform future CERF results reporting. This report was compiled on the basis of information provided by Resident Coordinators/Humanitarian Coordinators (RC/ HCs) and Humanitarian Country Teams (HCTs) in 66 consolidated reports covering the results of more than 450 CERF-funded projects.
171.2 M required for 2017 including special situations
31.2 M contributions received, representing 18% of requirements
139.9 M overall funding gap for Sudan
All figures are displayed in USD
307.5 M required for 2017 including special situations
62.1 M contributions received, representing 20% of requirements
245.4 M overall funding gap for Ethiopia
All figures are displayed in USD
France is concerned by how quickly the cholera epidemic is spreading in certain regions of Yemen.
This epidemic is taking place in the context of a severe deterioration in the health situation; preventing the spread of the disease to the rest of the country requires decisive action to put an end to it as swiftly as possible. France will make €2 million available to support projects to meet the most urgent needs of the populations, notably in the health sector.
New Zealand will provide a further $5 million in relief assistance to pressing humanitarian crises across Africa and the Middle East, Foreign Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced.
“An estimated 45 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance across South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria and Yemen, of which 20 million face starvation and famine,” Mr Brownlee says.
“Conflict and insecurity have exacerbated drought conditions, causing widespread humanitarian need.
More than 20 million people in Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen are experiencing famine or a credible risk thereof over the coming six months. To avert a humanitarian catastrophe in the four countries, humanitarian operations require more than US$6.3 billion in 2017. Of this amount $4.9 billion is urgently needed for life-saving assistance in the key areas of food security, health, nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene, as these are key sectors of famine response and prevention.
The stop of well pumps due to the lack of diesel encouraged QC in cooperation with Sobol Charity to provide clean water for people in Taiz.
This project provides 104 barrels of diesel per month to ensure the operation of the pumps of 8 major wells in the province, which will provide water for more than 300,000 people living in difficult conditions because of the imposed suffocating siege.
May 6 th , 2017 ― Doha: Qatar Red Crescent's (QRCS) mission in Yemen completed the second phase of a project to distribute cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection machines to 430 needy infants with hydrocephalus, at a total cost of $120,000 (QR 436,800).
This phase covered 100 kids. Preparations are underway for the third phase, which is planned to commence this month.
Over 20 million people in north-east Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia are already at or over the tipping point of famine. Thanks to the generosity of its donors,CERF has released $93 million for early action and life-saving operations in Nigeria, Somalia and South Sudan. In north-east Nigeria, an allocation of $22 million is reaching an estimated 2.9 million people affected by Boko Haram related violence and food insecurity. In Somalia, CERF has allocated $33 million to help vulnerable people in severe drought areas in Puntland, Somaliland and South Central.
Within the framework of international cooperation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has donated 30,000 euros to the UN World Food Programme (WFP) to help alleviate famine in Yemen.
More than 20 million people in Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen are experiencing famine or a credible risk thereof over the coming six months. To avert a humanitarian catastrophe in the four countries, humanitarian operations require more than US$5.6 billion in 2017. Of this amount $4.4 billion is urgently needed for life-saving assistance in the key areas of food security, health, nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene, as these are key sectors of famine response and prevention.
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$6.2 billion. The total amount received to date is $1.0 billion (16%), which leaves a shortfall of $5.2 billion (84%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $1.65 billion (30%), which leaves a shortfall of $3.92 billion (70%).