- ACAPS Briefing Note: Yemen: Escalation of Conflict, 27 Mar 2015
- Statement of the Yemen Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr. Johannes van Der Klaauw
- ICG: Yemen at War
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Response Plan 2014-2015 Revision (February 2015)
- Yemen ERF
28 March 2015 – With a raft of ills plaguing the Arab world – from the “shameful” conflict in Syria to the “tinderbox” that is Gaza and the steadily unraveling situation in Yemen – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called upon leaders gathered in Egypt to work with each other and the United Nations to “strengthen our bonds for the people of this region and the security of our world.”
NEW YORK, 28 March 2015 – “Although the deteriorating situation in Yemen is curtailing operations, UNICEF continues to work to provide vital assistance for children in the country through a small number of international staff and more than 100 national staff, working with local as well as international partners.
“UNICEF and partners are providing water, sanitation and hygiene supplies as well as supporting mobile health clinics for more than 600 families who have arrived in Harad from the north.
Aden, Yemen | Saturday 3/28/2015 - 19:58 GMT
A series of explosions rocked an arms depot in Yemen's second city of Aden Saturday, killing at least 14 people as looters swarmed the facility, witnesses and an official said.
The blasts were heard across the city and pillars of smoke rose from the depot, where looting had broken out a day earlier, an AFP correspondent reported.
The depot is at the foot of Jabal Hadid mountain overlooking the port, and a large amount of weapons dating back to the Soviet era were stored in a cave there.
Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt | | Saturday 3/28/2015 - 11:01 GMT
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged Arab leaders on Saturday to resolve the Yemen conflict peacefully after a Saudi-led coalition launched a military intervention against Shiite rebels.
"It is my fervent hope that at this Arab League summit, leaders will lay down clear guidelines to peacefully resolve the crisis in Yemen," he told the summit in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.
© 1994-2015 Agence France-Presse
Saudis Should Not Repeat Use of Cluster Bombs
(Beirut, March 28, 2015) – The Saudi Arabia-led coalition of Arab countries that conducted airstrikes in Yemen on March 26 and 27, 2015, killed at least 11 and possibly as many as 34 civilians during the first day of bombings in Sanaa, the capital, Human Rights Watch said today. The 11 dead included 2 children and 2 women. Saudi and other warplanes also carried out strikes on apparent targets in the cities of Saada, Hodaida, Taiz, and Aden.
7419th Meeting (AM)
‘We Are Being Slaughtered,’ Says Iraqi Lawmaker; Secretary-General Promises Action Plan by September
BEIRUT, 27 March 2015 (IRIN) - The Saudi Arabian-led assault on Yemen has disrupted life-saving aid programs across the country, international aid agencies have said.
The provision of humanitarian aid to many Yemeni regions was already difficult as the country has slid closer to civil war following the takeover of the capital Sana’a in September by northern Houthi rebels. But on Thursday morning, a Saudi-led alliance of eight countries began bombing key Houthi targets in Sana’a and other cities.
The escalation of the conflict between Shi’ite Houthi militias and the Yemeni Government intensifies urgent protection concerns for the civilian population.
Conflict has escalated since mid-March. Armed Sunni tribesmen and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) have also been fighting the Shi’ite advance, while AQAP continues to oppose the Government. Several local militias have supported the Government. Attacks by Islamic State and AQAP are aggravating the situation.
Ethiopia - The International Organization for Migration Special Liaison Office assisted 46 stranded Ethiopian migrants in Yemen to return to Ethiopia earlier this week (24 March 2015).
The migrants were intercepted in Yemen while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and had been detained in Yemen from three to seven months in Jawaza. IOM Yemen has been providing them food and clothing.
Sanaa, Yemen | | Friday 3/27/2015 - 07:18 GMT
At least 39 civilians have been killed in more than 24 hours of Saudi-led air strikes against Shiite rebels in Yemen, health ministry officials said on Friday.
Twelve of the victims died when a raid against a military base north of the capital Sanaa hit surrounding residential areas, officials from the rebel-controlled ministry told AFP.
Witnesses said warplanes targeted Al-Samaa base, which is used by army units believed to take orders from their former commander Ahmed Ali Saleh.
Sana’a, 26 March 2015.
Scores of people have been wounded in fighting in Yemen over recent days, with many treated at the Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) hospital in the southern city of Aden.
Clashes in Aden have increased after Houthi fighters entered the city this morning. Looting is ongoing amidst the clashes and general chaos. The MSF hospital in the city has so far received 80 injured people today and more are coming.
By Almigdad Mojalli
SANA'A, 26 March 2015 (IRIN) - Saudi Arabia and its allies may be hitting neighbourhoods targets in their bombing campaign in Yemen, residents and rights groups have warned.
Dozens of Saudi jets began bombing the capital, Sana’a, early Thursday morning, with the aim of crushing the Houthi rebel movement that claimed control of the city in September.
A number of military targets were hit, but the crowded, low-income suburb of Bani Hewat near Sana’a International Airport was also badly damaged.
Washington, United States | | Thursday 3/26/2015 - 16:03 GMT
The International Monetary Fund said Thursday it had suspended its loan to Yemen indefinitely, citing a "host of uncertainties" stemming from the escalating unrest in the country.
In September, the IMF approved a $552.9 million line of credit to help highly impoverished Yemen maintain economic stability and promote inclusive growth. The first installment of the three-year loan, nearly $74 million, was made available immediately.
The ICRC in Yemen, worried by the recent escalation of violence in the country, expressed concern on Thursday at reports of civilian casualties following air strikes in the capital Sana'a and other parts of the country. Ordinary Yemenis – already hit hard by years of conflict – are now enduring the effects of this escalation.
"All parties involved in the current round of violence are bound by the rules governing the conduct of hostilities," said Cedric Schweizer, who heads the ICRC delegation in Yemen.
At least six children under the age of 10 were among a reported 25 people killed in Saudi Arabian-led airstrikes in the Yemeni capital Sana’a early this morning, Amnesty International confirmed after speaking to hospital officials and eyewitnesses.
26 March, Sana’a, Yemen – WHO, together with the Ministry of Public Health and Population and health partners, is responding to increased health needs in Yemen as a result of the recent escalation in violence in Sana’a and other parts of the country.
Widespread armed clashes between the army and opposition forces occurred on 26 March and are ongoing on in Al-Dha’ale and Lahj Governorates. Clashes near and inside Aden city were also reported, in addition to airstrikes on the presidential palace in Aden.
Sanaa, Yemen | | Thursday 3/26/2015 - 05:54 GMT
At least 13 civilians were killed in Saudi air strikes against Huthi rebels in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, a civil defence source said Thursday.
"Thirteen civilians, including women and children, were killed in the Saudi raids overnight," the source told AFP. Witnesses said residents were helping civil defence officials to search for any more victims under the rubble of seven houses damaged in the raids.
SANA’A, March 24—Calls for national peace talks to resume in the Qatari capital Doha were rejected by Houthi representatives on Tuesday, while militias and military units loyal to the group continue their push south towards Aden.
Muhammad Al-Bukhaiti, a spokesperson for the Houthi Political Office, said Qatar represents one of the group’s “worst enemies” and that the location for continued dialogue can only be decided by those participating in it.