39,213 people (Official & unofficial sites, self-settled est.)
54,555 capacity (Official sites & UNHCR)
accommodation scheme 7,937 people
Japan - Tropical Cyclones KOMPASU, MINDULLE, LIONROCK
• TC KOMPASU made landfall on 21 August in Hokkaido as Tropical Depression. Over 6 000 people have been evacuated in this island.
• TC MINDULLE made landfall on 22 August in Chiba prefecture as Tropical Storm. Two people have been killed, several have been injured, over 469 000 have been evacuated in Kanagawa prefecture. Over the next 24 h it is forecast to continue moving northeast, weakening but remaining a Tropical Storm.
Movements towards Europe In June, 16,775 migrants and refugees from West Africa arrived in Italy using the Central Mediterranean Route, including 6,196 Nigerians, 2,289 Guineans, 2,088 Ivoirians, 1,908 Gambians, 1,482 Senegalese, 1,416 Malians, and 884 Ghanaians. A total of 70,222 migrants and refugees arrived in Italy via the Central Mediterranean Route between January and June 2016. Migrants and refugees from West Africa made up 54% of these movements in the first half of 2016 compared with 29% during the same period in 2015.
Syria - Conflict
Every day, aid workers save lives in conflicts and disasters, braving tremendous dangers and diculties to deliver assistance to people who need it the most. On World Humanitarian Day (19 August), we remember and pay tribute to those heroic colleagues who lost their lives in humanitarian service.
• Heavy rain has continued to affect several areas of the country over the last week causing more floods.
• According to media reports, as well as of 16 August, 23 people have been killed, 31 have been injured and over 1 970 houses have been damaged in El Gezira state as well as traffic disruptions in North Darfur and South Darfur state.
• Over the next 24 h moderate rain may affect the central and the south-eastern areas of the country, including the ones already affected.
ERSAD, NOAA, Local Media