Iraq - Conflict
• Lack of access to safety remains a grave concern as internally displaced persons (IDPs) from AlAnbar governorate are being prevented from leaving insecure areas.
• Threats of forced evictions, displacement and return movements in central Iraq are multiplying.
• Residents of Al Riyadh sub-district, in southwest Kirkuk, were requested by ISF to leave their village on 2 July.
USA – Forest Fire
• A forest fire broke out in Chelan County (Washington State) near Wenatchee on 28 June.
• According to media (as of 30 June), the fire burnt nearly 1,200 ha, destroyed 23 houses and injured three firefighters, while an evacuation order is in effect.
INDIA – Floods
• The Upper Assam districts of Sonitpur, Lakhimpur and Dhemaji were hit by new floods on 29 June, that killed two people and affected over 5,500 people in 20 villages. A relief camp has been opened by the district authorities, sheltering 75 people.
U.S.A. - Severe weather
• Severe weather, including thunderstorms, strong winds, heavy rain, hail and tornadoes affected several areas of Midwest and Mid-Atlantic United States on 21-23 June. Several tornadoes were reported in the states of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Michigan on 22 June.
• According to media (as of 23 June), seven people were injured and several damages occurred, mostly in the area of Coal City in northern Illinois.
Mexico - Tropical Depression THREE
• Tropical Depression THREE formed in the eastern Pacific Ocean, off the coasts of Oaxaca and Guerrero states, on 10 June.
• On 11 June, at 9.00 UTC, its approximate centre was 410km of Acapulco in Guerrero.
• Over the next 48h, THREE is forecast to intensify significantly. It is expected to move north-west and then turn north-northeast, towards Oaxaca and Guerrero.
• Very heavy rainfall and strong winds may affect the southern states of Mexico, particularly Guerrero, Oaxaca and Chiapas, on 11 June.
Mexico - Tropical Cyclone BLANCA
• On 5 June, at 9.00 UTC, BLANCA was a Category 2 Hurricane and its centre was located 53km south-west of the closest point along the Mexican coast. Over the next 48h, it is forecast to continue moving north-west. Its intensity will initially increase slightly, but it is expected to start weakening late on 6 June. BLANCA may approach Baja California Sur on 8 June, possibly weakened into a Tropical Storm.
• As of 5 June, NOAA has issued no coastal Warnings or Watches.
1) MEXICO - Tropical Cyclone BLANCA
• BLANCA is moving north-west over the Pacific Ocean, approx. 750-800 km south-west of the coast of Guerrero state (Mexico), as a Major Hurricane.
• Over the next 48h, it is forecast to continue moving north-west over the Pacific Ocean and start weakening. It may approach Baja California Sur on 8 June, having weakened significantly. On 6-8 June moderate to heavy rains and winds may affect some coastal areas of the states of western Mexico.
Haiti - Drought
• Due to below-average rainfall, Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) "Crisis" level has been reached in parts of Haiti, severely affecting 180 000 people. Between 60% and 80% loss of the main local crops and vegetables in these areas has been confirmed. • Difficulties in accessing water results in the reduction of daily meals or leads to community conflicts. • Livestock has been severely affected and pressure has been put on alternative food resources (fishery).