In Focus: Refugee crisis in Europe
- Red Cross urges governments to protect people on the move as freezing weather is set to sweep Europe this weekend, 20 Nov 2015
- Joint UNHCR, IOM, and UNICEF statement on new border restrictions in the Balkans, 20 Nov 2015
- ACAPS: European Asylum-Seeker Crisis: Scenarios - Possible developments in transit countries over the next 6−9 months
Appeals & Funding
- UNHCR Emergency Appeal 2015: Winterization Plan for the Refugee Crisis in Europe (Nov 2015 – Feb 2016)
- UNHCR Special Mediterranean Initiative Jun–Dec 2015, Supplementary Appeal
- IFRC Response Plan: A Movement coordinated approach focusing on the Mediterranean and neighbouring regions
IFRC Population Movement Emergency Appeals/Emergency Plan of Action Regional (Nov 2015); Croatia (Oct 2015); Greece (Sep 2015); Hungary (Sep 2015); Italy (Nov 2015); FYR of Macedonia (Sep 2015); Serbia (Sep 2015); Slovenia (Oct 2015)
Western Balkans - Refugee crisis
• Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia have applied restrictions to the number of nationalities eligible to enter their territory.
• Figures confirm a sharp decrease in the number of transit (from 7000-8000 to 4000-5000 average daily).
Afghanistan - Earthquake
• 22 November - Earthquake magnitude 5.9 M occurred in Badakhshan province.
The map shows the monthly average minimum temperature in °C for January. This WorldClim data was generated through interpolation of average monthly climate data from weather stations on a 30 arc-second resolution grid (= about 1km² resolution)
FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIA (FSM), GUAM (USA)
• Tropical Cyclone IN-FA moved through Pohnpei and Chuuk as a Tropical Storm / Typhoon over the last 48 h, causing strong winds and heavy rains.
• Over the next 48 h, it is forecast to move north-west of Chuuk State, as a Typhoon, and pass south of Guam and north of Yap State islands on 20-21 November, still as a Typhoon.
The Bahamas – TC KATE
• KATE turned into a Tropical Storm on 9 November and moved through the eastern and central islands of the Bahamas.
• KATE is forecast to move north and then north-east over the Atlantic, slightly intensifying, but remaining over water and far from any land, over the next 48 h.
The map shows the average maximum wind speed at each cell for November, December, January and February at 5 km spatial resolution. The data was modelled from ECMWF operational forecasting models, 2010-2015.
The map shows the monthly mean precipitation in mm for November, December, January and February. This WorldClim data was generated through interpolation of average monthly climate data from weather stations on a 30 arcsecond resolution grid (= about 1km² resolution).
The map shows calculated average monthly snow cover data for November, December, January and February; derived from data extracted for each year from the full available period of record from 2000 to 2015. The original MODIS/Terra Snow Cover Monthly data consists of snow cover in a spatial resolution of 0.05 degrees, which equals ~5 square kilometres. The monthly average snow cover is calculated from the daily products.
In order to enable Participating States to receive and provide further assistance, in the light of article 23 (3) of the UCPM legislation, shelter and basic relief items are considered as ‘critical needs’ for all pending UCPM activations related to this crisis. The rate of EU co-financing for their transport within the framework of the UCPM can be up to 85% of the total transport cost.