In Focus: Refugee crisis in Europe
- EU: Declaration of the High-level Conference on the Eastern Mediterranean - Western Balkans Route
- UNHCR: 66th Session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme Agenda point 5(a). Statement by Volker Türk, Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, 8 Oct 2015
- UNHCR: Interim Operational Considerations for the feeding support of Infants and Young Children under 2 years of age in refugee and migrant transit settings in Europe
Appeals & Funding
- Special Mediterranean Initiative Jun 2015 – Dec 2016, Supplementary Appeal
- UNHCR: Special Mediterranean Initiative: Plan for an enhanced operational response (Jun–Dec 2015)
- IFRC Response Plan: A Movement coordinated approach focusing on the Mediterranean and neighbouring regions
IFRC Population Movement Emergency Appeals/Emergency Plan of Action for European Countries Slovenia (Oct 2015); Croatia (Oct 2015); Hungary (Sep 2015); FYR of Macedonia (Sep 2015); Serbia (Sep 2015); Greece (Sep 2015); Italy (May 2015)
This guide offers a menu of program options
used by USAID's Office of Transition Initiatives in conflict prone and
post-conflict settings over the past seven years. With the field evolving
towards conflict prevention, mitigation, resolution and post-conflict recovery,
it aims to serve as a resource for determining those interventions that
may be most effective. Approaches considered include:
- Expanding democratic political processes
- Building citizen security
Security Council Distr.: General
Minneapolis, August 22, 2001 - American Refugee Committee President Anthony Kozlowski praised a U.S. government report for highlighting the threats facing millions of people around the world who have been displaced within their own countries by armed conflict or persecution - and called for an urgent review of U.S. policy on the matter.
Joint Press Release WHO/PAHO/WFP/OCHA
With the support of the Government of Japan, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) will establish its ReliefWeb Office in Kobe, and the opening ceremony will be held on August 16 (Thu).
Forced to reduce its activity for financial reasons (a deficit of almost 100 million dollars) and in the absence of sufficient financing from the contributing states, the UNHCR is about to cut over 700 jobs and close down around ten offices. Médecins du Monde is greatly worried about the consequences for 22,5 million refugees or displaced persons across the world.
Contraint de réduire son activité pour des raisons budgétaires (près de 100 millions de dollars de déficit), le HCR s'apprête à supprimer plus de 700 postes et fermer une dizaine de bureaux, faute de financements suffisants de la part des Etats contributeurs. Médecins du Monde s'inquiète vivement des conséquences induites pour 22,5 millions de personnes réfugiées ou déplacées à travers le monde.
Human Development Index - A composite index
measuring average achievement in three basic dimensions of human development
- a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living.
See UNDP report for further details.
Complex peace operations that involve state-building functions are difficult even when the political outcome is clear, as it is in East Timor. In situations such as Kosovo, where the final status of the territory under administration remains unclear, every aspect of state-building is more politically sensitive and more operationally complex. When this occurs in a highly militarized environment and in an unstable region, any departure from a supposedly "interim" solution becomes more difficult still.
The report is aimed at key policy-makers within humanitarian agencies and field workers to help in designing and implementing gender-sensitive long-support.
This report by the UN Secretary-General, covering
the period from July 1999 to July 2001, considers the progress made by
the White Helmets Initiative. The report describes programme activities
and their results, existing mechanisms and partnerships, financing and
resource mobilization and underscores opportunities for widening its operation.
In the context of General Assembly Resolution
55/57 calling on governments, organisations, the UN System and all other
actors to take all possible actions to promote volunteering, this report
draws on meetings on volunteering that have taken place during the International
Year of Volunteers in 2001. In particular, the following aspects are discussed:
- General parameters for volunteering
- Contributions of volunteering in terms of economic and social factors
This report assesses the work of international
organisations and the US Government with respect to internally displaced
persons. Three questions in particular are evaluated:
- International organisations' efforts to protect IDPs and the impediments faced
- International organisations' ability to meet food and other assistance needs of IDPs
- U.S. Government's coordination and management to help protect and assist IDPs
This publication provides joint tactics,
techniques, and procedures (JTTP) for the planning and execution of foreign
humanitarian assistance operations. This publication has been prepared
under the direction of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It sets
forth doctrine and selected JTTP to govern the joint activities and performance
of the Armed Forces of the United States in joint operations and provides
the doctrinal basis for US military involvement in multinational and interagency
- Defines Types of Foreign Humanitarian Assistance Operations
Human security is a contested concept.
There is consensus among its proponents of human that the "referent
object" object of security should be the individual rather than the
state, but no consensus with respect to the threats to individuals that
should be included under the human security rubric.