No disaster found.
In the context of the environmental emergencies
of Baia Mare (Romania) and Aznalcollar (Spain) in 1998, this report provides
an account of the events and discusses accident prevention in relation
to mining activities. The report contains the following chapters:
- Overview of mining accidents involving dam bursts worldwide
- Immediate follow-up activities
- Technical point of view - Project description and lessons to be learnt
Security Council Distr.: General
This paper examines the rights of Internally
Displaced Persons (IDPs) to vote and to participate in governmental and
public affairs, particularly analysing the following issues:
- Political participation in international human rights law
- Political participation and the Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement
- Participation by the internally displaced in elections in the OSCE region
This guide provides tools and practical procedures
for collecting information, using both individual and group-based data
collection methods, with and about refugees and internally displaced persons
(IDPs) in transition.
This report focuses on the gender perspective
in the case of natural disasters. Based on disaster social science, agency
reports, and field worker accounts, it identifies the complex ways gender
relations shape human experiences before, during, and after natural disasters.
Today's wars are mostly fought in the developing countries with small arms and light weapons, their ammunition and related equipment. The fighters and victims in these wars are often civilians. Indeed, they are often children. If these conflicts are to be prevented or stopped, policy-makers must address a wide range of issues. Some of these concern the perceived need for weaponry and armed conflict, which in this report is called the 'demand side' of the small arms market. Others concern the provision and availability of the tools of violence.
Stressing the importance of having a list of
core indicators for monitoring World Food Summit follow-up, this report
compares indicators proposed by different international monitoring systems
and provides recommendations for specific core indicators for monitoring
food security outcomes.
The document is based on the twenty-sixth session of the Committee on World Food Security, held in Rome in September 2000.
Based on research in ten countries, an international
meeting and consultations in a number of countries, this report looks at
human rights abuses committed by armed groups. In particular, it focuses
on the following questions:
- Means to influence the behaviour of armed groups
- Obstacles faced by those who undertake such means
- Factors influencing the respect for human rights and humanitarian norms by armed groups
This review examines the actions taken by governments,
regional organisations, the UN system and civil society in response to
the recommendations of the 1996 Machel Report 'The Impact of Armed Conflict
on Children', addressing its major themes and bringing new and expanded
focus to the following areas:
- Small arms and light weapons
- Women's role in peace building
- Peace and security