No disaster found.
GENEVA (Reuters) - The El Nino weather phenomenon that has brought heavy rains and flooding to some parts of the world and drought to others is likely to weaken after May, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said Friday.
Most climate models foresee conditions beginning to return to normal, but some show El Nino may be followed by a cold
weather event known as La Nina, which would bring abnormal cold to the eastern Equatorial Pacific beginning from July to
September, the WMO said in a report.
Cyclone risk increases during El Nino weather patterns, and the Program says new scientific studies show those patterns are becoming more frequent.
The studies were conducted by New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research and the United States National Centre for Atmospheric Research.
AMERICAS : EL NIÑO 1997 - 1998
Appeal no. 27/97: period covered: 26 November 1997 - 21 January 1998
Latin American countries such as Peru and Paraguay continue to suffer from the consequences of the meteorological
phenomenon "El Niño". According to official figures, heavy rainfall, floods and mud slides which recently hit the region have
claimed at least 28 lives in Peru alone, while 10 persons are still missing. The Peruvian Red Cross is planning to distribute
monthly rations of rice, beans, sugar, oil and salt to 10,000 people in two of the worst-hit areas, Tumbes in the north of the
Sea surface temperatures in the east and central Pacific are at their highest points for nearly half a century - while those in the western Pacific remain lower than normal - indicating that the current El Niño phenomenon has now reached record levels, reports Terry Butt, the International Federation's Pacific regional chief.
The anticipated results are:
- Continued drought through April/May 1998 in Papua New Guinea and eastern Australia, with dry conditions extending west
as far as Samoa.
Supplement to WFP Emergency Report no.
03 of 1998
Harare, January 13, 1998 -- The robust rains falling on parts of southern Africa have diminished, but not extinguished, fears that a scorching El Niño drought will wither staple harvests during the key growing months of January and February.
El Niño forecasters' predictions of severe floods in the north of Peru and droughts in the south and into Ecuador are already starting to prove correct. In Ecuador flooding attributed to El Niño has already taken hold in the coastal south of the country. So far floods are only just threatening the north of Peru and are expected in Bolivia later.
The disaster descriptions in this report cover the period of the USG's fiscal year, October 1, 1996, through September 30, 1997. During FY 1997, BHR/OFDA responded to 51 new "declared" disasters. Many of the disasters in FY 1997 required a complex mix of USG financial and staff resources.
This document explains which indicators need
to be used to monitor the impact of nutrition programs. The following chapters
- Understanding Monitoring and Indicator Terms
- Core Indicators to Monitor Micah Programme Objectives
- Selecting Indicators for your Programme
- Sources of Information for Indicators
- Levels of Monitoring Indicators
This paper provides a summary overview of the
differential impact of emergencies and crisis situations on women and girls,
men and boys, discussing the policy issues and implications of a gender
perspective. To this purpose, it addresses the following issues:
- The challenges of gender analysis
- Gender relations in the context of violent social change
- Operational implications for humanitarian agencies
The 1998 Human Development Report examines the high levels of consumption and production in the world, the power and potential of technology and information, and the opportunities they present for human development. It includes the following chapters:
- The state of human development
- Consumption from a human development perspective
- Consumption in a global village - unequal and unbalanced
This paper sets out to encapsulate the key principles
on which UN mine action is based and to clarify roles and responsibilities
within the UN system. The objectives of the principles developed in this
paper are threefold and complementary:
- Foster ability of the UN to support affected countries and populations
- Foster ability of the UN to support and build collective efforts of international community
The annual report for 1998 covers human rights
around the world, providing studies of individual countries and regional
summaries. In addition, the report reviews issues concerning three main
All human rights for all
- Universality and indivisibility
- Meeting future challenges
- Weaknesses in the human rights framework
This document explains FAO's role and how activities
are conducted by FAO officers and field staff during each phase of an emergency
sequence. In addition to introduring key concepts, the hanbook covers the
- Early warning
- Immediate needs assessment
This practical guide aims to help journalists
working in war situations. For this purpose, it deals with the following
- Basic documents recognising the principle of press freedom
- Reference documents on professional ethics
- Guidelines for the individual and joint protection of investigators
- Procedures for protecting journalists and other staff: The case of the BBC
This document provides guidelines for the design
and implementation of a nutrition survey. The following topics are discussed:
- Decisions to make before starting the survey
- Designing the questionnaire
- Choosing a sample
- Preparing for data collection
- Conducting the field work
This code of conduct aims to provide an ethical
framework for conflict transformation work. It consists of guiding principles
for the organisation and the development of policies with respect to the
- Human rights and conflict transformation work
- Impartiality in conflict transformation work
This glossary provides a list of emergency management
terms and definitions, likely to be encountered by emergency management
The glossary does not present new or different definitions of terms, but draws together definitions from many existing sources, as well as suggests a set of core terms.