- Uganda: Emergency Update on the South Sudan Refugee Situation Inter-Agency Daily #42 | 20th – 21st September 2016
- UNICEF Uganda – South Sudanese Refugee Crisis Situation Report, 20-26 August 2016
- FEWSNET Uganda Food Security Outlook Update Jun 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Revised South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (Jan-Dec 2016)
Goma, DR Congo | AFP | Thursday 9/22/2016 - 12:08 GMT
Seven people were killed overnight in an attack in eastern DR Congo blamed on Ugandan rebel group the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), the army said Thursday.
"The ADF killed seven people and burned down houses" in Kasinga in the Beni region, army spokesman Mak Hazukay told AFP, adding that fighting between soldiers and the rebels was ongoing.
Local official Gilbert Kambale said 15 houses had been set on fire and five people were reported missing.
Goma, RD Congo | AFP | jeudi 22/09/2016 - 11:40 GMT |
Sept civils ont été tués dans la nuit de mercredi à jeudi dans une attaque attribuée aux rebelles ougandais des Forces démocratiques alliées (ADF) dans la région de Beni, dans l'est de la République démocratique du Congo, a-t-on appris auprès de l'armée.
"Les ADF ont tué sept personnes et brûlé des maisons" à Kasinga, un quartier périphérique de Beni, a déclaré à l'AFP le lieutenant Mak Hazukay, porte-parole de l'armée dans cette région de la province du Nord-Kivu.
News in Brief
News in Brief On September 1, facilitator Edem Kodjo initiated the national dialogue in the Democratic Republic of Congo, bringing together government, opposition (“Rassemblement”) and civil society members to discuss the organisation of peaceful elections. However, several leading opposition figures, such as Etienne Tshisekedi, Moïse Katumbi and the Lucha movement, refused to engage. During the launch of the meeting, clashes erupted in Kinshasa between youth opposition supporters and the Congolese police, leading to dozens of arrests.
News in Brief
In the Democratic Republic of Congo, preparatory talks for a national dialogue were started by facilitator Edem Kodjo on August 23 in order to relieve the political tensions in the country.
However, few key members of the opposition attended and the “Rassemblement” umbrella called for a nationwide “ville-morte”.
The call was answered in some parts of Kinshasa, but ignored in other big Congolese cities. During the demonstrations in Kinshasa, two people were injured and 32 people were arrested.
News in Brief
Over the past two weeks, the President of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, visited his counterparts in Uganda and Rwanda. Security appeared to be high on the agenda and both neighbouring countries committed to greater security and intelligence cooperation with the DRC. During a bilateral meeting between Ugandan and Rwandan police forces, the need for closer cross-border cooperation was also emphasized.
The Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) was responsible for ten attacks in July 2016 in which they abducted 12 civilians, the lowest monthly abduction total so far in 2016. Attacks by unidentified armed groups in LRA-affected areas rose for the second consecutive month, with a total of 15 attacks in July. LRA defectors reported additional evidence that the rebel group is seeking to abduct young boys and put them through military training.
Attacks on civilians concentrated west of Garamba National Park
Goma, RD Congo | AFP | mardi 16/08/2016 - 12:24 GMT | 455 mots
Les familles de plusieurs dizaines de personnes tuées le weekend dans un massacre attribué à des rebelles ougandais dans l'est de la République démocratique du Congo ont enterré leurs défunts sans attendre des obsèques officielles, ont rapporté mardi un journaliste de l'AFP et des responsables locaux.
Goma, DR Congo | AFP | Monday 8/15/2016 - 12:48 GMT
Civil society groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday said the number of people hacked to death in the restive east this weekend has risen to 51.
"Our team on the ground has counted 51 bodies slain with machetes," said Teddy Kataliko, a member of a local alliance of NGOs and unions working in the troubled town of Beni.
Local mayor Edmond Masumbuko on Sunday said 42 people had died in Saturday night's mass killing in Beni; the government in Kinshasa had earlier put the death toll at 36.
Goma, RD Congo | AFP | lundi 15/08/2016 - 11:57 GMT
Cinquante-et-un corps de civils ont été comptabilisés lundi à Beni, selon un nouveau bilan de la société civile, après un massacre attribué par l'armée à des rebelles ougandais dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche dans cette ville de l'est de la République démocratique du Congo.
"Notre équipe sur terrain a comptabilisé 51 corps tués à la machette", a déclaré à l'AFP Teddy Kataliko, membre de la Coordination de la société civile (ONG, associations, syndicats) de Beni.
APERÇU DE LA SITUATION
La détérioration sécuritaire dans plusieurs territoires et le démantèlement forcé des camps/sites de déplacés a suscité de nouveaux mouvements de population ainsi que la destruction ou la perte massive des biens et services de base.
News in Brief