- UNICEF Uganda Humanitarian Situation Report - 1 - 30 April 2017
- WFP Uganda Monthly Market Bulletin, March 2017: Issue 36
- FEWS NET Uganda Price Bulletin, April 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- Horn of Africa cross-border drought action plan 2017: Required response to safeguard livestock-based livelihoods in cross-border areas of Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda, March – June 2017
- IFRC Uganda: Population Movement (MDRUG038) Emergency Appeal Revision 2
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
CONTEXT — A NEW NORMAL
The global humanitarian agency Mercy Corps today launched a multi-country programme that will use mobile technologies to give farmers in the developing world a package of services to increase their harvests. As first of its kind, the Agri-Fin Mobile initiative - in partnership with the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) - will identify and connect leading financial institutions, agriculture specialists and mobile network operators and provide mobile-enabled, bundled packages of financial, training and information services to more than 180,000 small-scale farmers.
Today almost a billion people worldwide are unable to buy or grow enough food to avoid malnutrition. That's 120 million more than were hungry in 2006.
What happened? Basically, the world saw dramatic spikes in food prices.